With KANOTIX (X-mas version), the NIS package must still be installed: (standard since BH1)
apt-get install nis
Then proceed as follows:
1. in "/etc/defaultdomain" input the NIS domain
2. in "/etc/nsswitch.conf " check whether
> are set (actual is default)
3. in "/etc/passwd" insert as last row "+::::::"(6 colons)
4. in "/etc/group" insert as last row "+:::" (3 colons)
5. register the NIS server in "/etc/yp.conf ":
>"ypserver <IP adress of the NIS server>" maybe also put the hostname (must be entered in /etc/hosts):
6. finally type "/etc/init.d/nis start" and the NIS domain then runs.
In order to have ypbind up again after a reboot, insert the following line in "/etc/inittab ":
Info: If in the NIS domain the $HOME directory is given by NFS or automounter, these entries must also naturally still be made.