19.03.2024, 10:11 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
Gibbz
Titel: kanotix > NAS?  BeitragVerfasst am: 05.02.2006, 07:03 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Sep 2005

is there any way tot turn kanotix install into a NAS solution with a web interface via the network?

Ive tryed some linux nas solutions, but they do not pickup the hardware, but kanotix does it fine....

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
rrowan
Titel: RE: kanotix > NAS?  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.05.2006, 17:38 Uhr

Anmeldung: 20. Jan 2006

Bump...

I also would like to make a Kanotix NAS

Thanks

Rick

schnorrer
Titel: RE: kanotix > NAS?  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.05.2006, 03:07 Uhr

Anmeldung: 09. Jan 2006

with all linux common, you have to make your linux a fileserver. with NIS.

Gowator
Titel: RE: kanotix > NAS?  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.05.2006, 10:20 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2004
Basically the definition of NAS is quite broad. A few years ago it meant expensive custom made machines usually running a custom BSD or Linux kernel...
I have used them professionally for along time ....
Nowadays easier solutions are available.
For a set of linux machines you just need to install and config NIS as scnorrer says since you already have SAMBA and I would also use NFS on a linux network... or you could use SAMBA as a domain server ... its really what you want to serve to....

I like Webmin for config and its easy to install/config via apt and can manage all the services you need.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger  
slam
Titel: RE: kanotix > NAS?  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.05.2006, 10:30 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
There is no Webmin any more in Debian Sid since many months - for good reasons. So, although Kanotix is a very fine base for running a Sid server, you should not count on Webmin in this case. Actually it is best practice to not use any control panel software on public servers for various security related reasons.

However, if you are looking for a professional server control panel which is optimized for Debian and runs well on Sid/Kanotix I would recommend SysCP at http://trac.syscp.org/. It is a mature and acitively developed open source project.

Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
rrowan
Titel: RE: kanotix > NAS?  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.05.2006, 20:13 Uhr

Anmeldung: 20. Jan 2006

Hi Folks,

What I am looking to do is put together a computer with at least 4 drives to hold pictures/home videos etc.

To provide access to the other computers in the house which are all M$ windows XP. So really just a central large storage for the other computers. I have another computer that is running Kanotix that I am using to learn from.

Thanks

Rick

Gowator
Titel: RE: kanotix > NAS?  BeitragVerfasst am: 20.05.2006, 10:25 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2004
Yes it should be a problem at all... I have exactly that except its all linux.
Bascially all you need to do is get everything mounted in terms of the central unit and then use SAMBA to provide shares for the rest of the comps...
In this case you might want to use some of the more advanced SAMBA capabilities like acting as a WINS server etc. but the first thing is just getting it up and running.

If all you are doing is serving files then you don't even need a monitor/keyb though the setup is obviously going to be easier this way Sehr glücklich Resource wise you don't need X etc. either but serving files is very non-CPU instensive and could be done from a 486 quite easily so don't worry too much.

A nice option is if you have plenty of resources to run the NXserver built-in to kanotix which gives you a remote desktop ... but personally my system is mucvh simpler, I use the CLI for 90% .. Webmin mainly only for a front end to log files and stuff and sometimes Ill kick up an X app just to do something by just exporting the display to my main machine.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger  
Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.