19.03.2024, 04:33 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
feffer777
Titel: Upgrade or Re-install?  BeitragVerfasst am: 30.04.2006, 03:14 Uhr

Anmeldung: 01. Feb 2006
I have Kanotix 2005-04 installed, but I've added a lot of additional apps. How can I bring these along if I install the Kanotix 2006-easter-rc2.iso? I have /home on a separate partition, so that's no problem, but everything else is on my root partition. Is there a way to "upgrade" without wiping out those existing apps, or do I need to make a list of them with dpkg and then another list after installing Easter, and diff the two? Or is there another better way to do this?

Alternatively, since I've been doing regular dist-upgrades to my 2005-05 system, is it even useful to install Easter? More generally, in debian, what's the best way to maintain one's system and keep it current? Before I used Fedora and when going from FC-3 to FC-4, it was recommended to do a "clean install". When I did that, I lost a lot of functionality that I had with FC-3. That's one of the reasons I tried debian. Until now, I've been happily "dist-upgrading", but eventually will I have to do a "clean install"?

Thanks,
Ron

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
mzilikazi
Titel: Upgrade or Re-install?  BeitragVerfasst am: 30.04.2006, 03:23 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
I see no need to reinstall. I happen to have a Bug Hunter 8 installation that is up to date and working quite well.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Gowator
Titel: RE: Upgrade or Re-install?  BeitragVerfasst am: 30.04.2006, 12:32 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2004
So long as you have kept up to date incrementally you shouldn't need a re-install.
The reinstall is really only needed if you let your system fall so far behind it can't find the deps to upgrade something and even then you can get around a re-install with a but of planning and work.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger  
devil
Titel: RE: Upgrade or Re-install?  BeitragVerfasst am: 30.04.2006, 12:38 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
...and if you have to, after update-install there´s a list of packages in /root/old-packages.txt, that can be used with apt.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

morris
Titel: RE: Upgrade or Re-install?  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.05.2006, 16:56 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Mai 2005

devil28 hat folgendes geschrieben::
...and if you have to, after update-install there´s a list of packages in /root/old-packages.txt, that can be used with apt.

greetz
devil
devil,

Could you please post the right steps to do that ? I'm having that need right now, but I keep getting error messages from dpkg --set-selections <"xxx.txt" (unexpected end of line in line no. 1).

I saw that a dpkg --get-selections test file format is slightly different from the one kanotix easter ed. saved when updating my system, so I'm surely doing the wrong thing, or in the wrong way ....

TKS
morris

Roughnecks
Titel: RE: Upgrade or Re-install?  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.05.2006, 17:06 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Dez 2004
# apt-get install $(<old-packages-YYYYMMDD.txt)

craigevil
Titel: RE: Upgrade or Re-install?  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.05.2006, 19:35 Uhr

Anmeldung: 29. Mar 2005
Kanotix Update
Zitat:
Installation of a new Kanotix version while keeping the system configuration: Update-Installation

With the aid of the Kanotix installer it's possible to install a newer Kanotix version while keeping your personal system settings. (e. g. entries in a separate /home directory). It's not an online update! You'll need the latest Kanotix-CD which you start in "live mode". Start the Kanotix-installer from the Kanotixmenu in the control bar. Therefore use push on the arrow over fish symbol and choose the entry in the submenu. Now choose the option "Update-Installation" in the first window of the installer and then push the next button. The window Update-installation appears.
ed.

Also, program packages which are not on the "live-CD" will be deleted. This includes those packages which were additionally added to the existing installation by the user. For a convenient reinstallation save the list of programs/packages in /root/old-packages-YYYYMMDD-HHMM.txt which can be used to reinstall all packages with apt-get after the update installation:

apt-get install $(</root/old-packages-20051221-2030.txt)

With one click on "Update" you can start the update-installation which will be performed in the console. Finally the last inquiry asks you if you really want to do the update installation.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
morris
Titel: RE: Upgrade or Re-install?  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.05.2006, 20:45 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Mai 2005

Thanks Guys, it worked !

As always, the simpler, the better.

morris

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.