25.04.2024, 23:20 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
t-bone
3 Titel: Linux and Kanotix Highlighted  BeitragVerfasst am: 03.03.2006, 16:12 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Sep 2005

Hello Fellow Kanotix Users and Lovers!

I would just like to let you all know that I have created a section, especially dedicated to Linux (as well as highlighting Kanotix), on my site that is aimed towards beginners and people who are ignorant of the Linux world.

http://tboneland.blogspot.com/

Any feedback would be appreciated. Sehr glücklich

Cheers everyone!

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
h2
Titel: RE: Linux and Kanotix Highlighted  BeitragVerfasst am: 05.03.2006, 23:28 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

Some corrections: nvu should not be recommended, it has extremely serious bugs that destroy php code on page, among other things. It just isn't ready for prime time, and from what I've read, the developer lost interest after rushing out nvu 1.0, which is not a 1.0 release, it's more like a 0.4 release. This is the worst code editor I've ever used, if I hadn't saved backups of my files before testing it I would have been totally scr#wed, since it ruined them completely.

filezilla only runs natively on windows. No mac osx build is planned. There is a pre release alpha linux build available, but it's alpha software, not meant for production purposes. Filezilla windows runs ok on wine, with some crashes and other glitches. The linux release is taking a long time, I hadn't checked it for a year, and found it's still in alpha [which means the feature set isn't fully implemented yet]. But it does work, it's just not a supported release, and shouldn't be used by non beta testers in general. Although the developer has told me that in his opinion it's currently stable enough to trust for basic file transfer. Version 3, when it comes out... will run natively on windows and linux only. But development is very slow, I use the nightlies for linux, not bad, but it's pretty limited in features.

I wish I'd been smart enough to stay in europe and do what you did, I was this close..., but I just had to come back to the US for some weird reason, just in time for the psycho brigade to take over the whitehouse and other parts of the gov... oh well

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
t-bone
Titel: RE: Linux and Kanotix Highlighted  BeitragVerfasst am: 06.03.2006, 06:28 Uhr

Thanks for your suggestions!

I agree with you about NVU, but since it is free, I decided to put it up. I will hunt down another freeware application and test it for beginner's. Smilie

As for FileZilla, I mentioned, in my PDF about equivalent software, that GFTP is generally the Linux standard.

I also agree about the "psycho brigade". Although Europe has its own problems, I simply agree with you, h2. However, there is nothing like home, and I do miss it dearly. I hope to be heading back to California within the next 2 years. Sehr glücklich

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
drb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 06.03.2006, 08:49 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Jul 2004

If you find anything better for beginners, let us know! nvu does what 'it says on the box'. I use it most of the time as it is more user friendly than anything else I've tried.

drb

Cathbard
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 06.03.2006, 13:43 Uhr
Artist
Artist

Anmeldung: 11. Aug 2005
What h2 says is correct and so is what drb says too to a degree. i have succesfully created simple web pages using nvu but I have also tried to edit pages with it unsucessfully. I'm not talking about really complex ones either. Just things I created with dreamweaver with a few flash objects and interactive pictures.
h2 said it is a bad editor. I have to agree. A wouldn't advise a newbie to use nVu as a web page editor either.
I have to find an older version of Dreamweaver that I can run under crossover. The one I'm used to is too modern for it.
GoLive is not without it's charms either. The way it translates photoshop layers into html is very cool when designing graphically oriented pages. A golive style program that interacted with gimp in the same way.......... wouldn't that be nice?

Here's another for your list tbone. Probably in the games section.
Teamspeak http://www.goteamspeak.com/
It's a really cool voice conferencing program that uses very little bandwidth. I use it all the time. I have installed it under a few debian distros (and windows) and it always installs clean. It even has a gui installer.

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 06.03.2006, 22:14 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

cathbard, I'll have to try some other dreamweavers in wine, mx didn't work, maybe 4 will, but I think it doesn't. Macromedia stuff in general doesn't work on wine I think. I think the reason there's no gui type webpage editor for linux is that there's just no real demand for it, except from corporations. If I remember right, the nvu author was paid to develop it by one of the commercial distro companies, it's not really a labor of love, and you can tell. At some point big companies that want stuff on linux that isn't there will need to pay to get it developed, or pay crossover office/wine people to make it work in wine. Disney did that with Photoshop 7, they paid crossover to make it work, because they wanted their stuff to be running linux but they had to have photoshop.

there's a whole bunch of good code editors though, web and programming oriented stuff like bluefish, quanta, and straight ahead text editors like kwrite and it's fancy twin kate. that's where the work has gone, bluefish is pretty good, that's what I'm leaning towards, though I also use editplus in wine, that works really well. And there's a free editplus version, slightly fewer features, called crimson editor. Both of these run great, they don't really use much of windows, you can run them off a usb stick if you want, and just start them with wine, and it works fine.

I have little motivation to spend time on it though, since the only thing I used dreamweaver for was sitewide search and replace stuff, it does have very good site management, that's helpful if you do a lot of sites. But you can get around that with a combination of kde tools from what I can see.

Other ftp clients, none in my opinion as good as filezilla:
kbear
kasablanca
and a few others. Most of these are missing key features though, auto detection of file types for ascii/binary transfer comes to mind in some, bad site management in others.

Re nvu: if you really only create single, static, non css non php containing web pages, and you are a true beginner, I guess nvu does what it says. But be aware that you are using a product almost if not as bad as Microsoft frontpage. Which also sort of works for beginners, as long as you never need to touch or fix the code ever again.

But HTML just isn't that hard to learn, it's about 20 tags used commonly, give or take.

To me filezilla alpha is better than any of the alternatives, so I just use that, or filezilla in wine, which is pretty good too, though it crashes.

t-bone, reading your stuff, and from where I sit, I'd say you made a pretty smart choice.

Cathbard
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 07.03.2006, 05:37 Uhr
Artist
Artist

When it comes to ftp I have found myself using konqueror these days (is there anything it can't do?) Once you setup the webspace as a network folder you can just treat it as a normal folder. It's bloody marvelous.

t-bone
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 07.03.2006, 06:10 Uhr

Thanks for all the input, you lovely people! Sehr glücklich

I use TeamSpeak and thought about putting it up, but I did not because of the fact that the server is not free and you need access to a clan that has a server running to use the free client. My gaming clan has a server, so we often use it. Excellent quality, that is for sure!

Cathbard
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 07.03.2006, 09:25 Uhr
Artist
Artist

There are heaps of free teamspeak servers for gamers. I use one supplied by an ISP here for one of their gameservers.
You only have to pay for the server if you are using it in a commercial situation (like the old freeware concept). We create our own servers with what they provide at times.

t-bone
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.03.2006, 07:12 Uhr

Sweet! I honstly thought that most of the TS servers had admin logins and could only be configured by the server owners and/or clan members. Good information to know! Thanks!

klausmerger
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 10.03.2006, 10:22 Uhr

Anmeldung: 30. Nov 2004
Thanks for all the Information, t-bone!
Greetings, Klaus

t-bone
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 10.03.2006, 17:45 Uhr

You are very welcome, Klaus! Sehr glücklich

t-bone
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 13.06.2006, 07:49 Uhr

I have just updated my site for those of you who wish to check it out. Sehr glücklich

craigevil
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.06.2006, 08:20 Uhr

Anmeldung: 29. Mar 2005
There are many easy to use HTML editors, it all depends on what you need.
Linux Tools and Programs

Quanta Plus is a web development tool for the GNU/Linux K Desktop Environment.
Quanta is designed for quick web development and is rapidly becoming a mature editor with a number of great features and lies at the heart of the KDE Web Dev suite of tools.

Bluefish is a powerful editor for experienced web designers and programmers.
Bluefish supports many programming and markup languages, but it focuses on editing dynamic and interactive websites.

OpenOffice Webwriter:
OOWeb is a WYSIWYG web site design tool, part of the OpenOffice suite. It has features very similar to that of Microsoft's FrontPage.

Mozilla/Seamonkey Composer:
"Mozilla's HTML editor keeps getting better with dynamic image and table resizing, quick insert and delete of table cells, improved CSS support, and support for positioned layers. For all your simple documents and website projects, Composer is all you need."

SciTE is a GUI-based single-document editor which uses the Scintilla editor component. It rapidly styles most common programming languages with good control over how syntactic elements are displayed, and features folding for C++, C, Java, JavaScript, and Python. Styling of HTML also styles embedded scripts written in VBScript, Javascript, or Python.

SCREEM is a web development environment. It's purpose is to increase productivity when constructing a site, by providing quick access to commonly used features. While it is written for use with the GNOME desktop environment in mind it does not specifically require you to be running it, just have the libraries installed.

My Debian page Debian Tips

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
t-bone
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.06.2006, 06:38 Uhr

Very nice work, craigevil.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.