23.04.2024, 22:33 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
pampelmoose
Titel: USB camera problem  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.06.2006, 05:17 Uhr

Anmeldung: 18. Jun 2005
A problem with my digital camera [it's a Kodak EasyShare Z-730], and my computer [using Kanotix-64-2005-04-lite] : I can't mount the camera because it is not assigned a block device.

With other USB peripherals (memory stick, card reader), I get a message in dmesg such as
Code:
usb 5-8: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
scsi5 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usbcore: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
usb-storage: device found at 5
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: Kingston  Model: DataTraveler 2.0  Rev: 6.16
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
SCSI device sdb: 498687 512-byte hdwr sectors (255 MB)

and the device is assigned a block device (such as sdb), and I can mount it.

With the camera, there is only one line of dmesg output
Code:
usb 4-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4

and no block device gets assigned.

I am using the un-modified Kanotix-64-2005-04-lite kernel.

Is the problem that the kernel is using the uhci-hcd module instead of the ehci-hcd? Or that SCSI emulation is only compiled for the uhci-hcd?

The computer is recognizing the camera (as per the line in dmesg, and an entry in /proc/bus/usb/devices). As far as I can tell, I need SCSI emulation for this device, which came automatically with other USB devices.[/quote]

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
mzilikazi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.06.2006, 14:38 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
Keep in mind that not all cameras can simply be mounted. Perhaps try gphoto2 or digikam and see if either of those applications recognizes the camera.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
kb0hae
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.06.2006, 14:45 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jul 2005

Hi. I cant help much, as I don't have a Kodak camera. (my old Fuji Finepix 2650 mounts fine, and acts just like a flash drive) I all else fails, you can always get a USB card reader for the camera's memory card.

Good luck!

pampelmoose
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.06.2006, 14:59 Uhr

Anmeldung: 18. Jun 2005
Thanks to both of you.

I do have a card reader which works, so that mounting the camera is not crucial. (It's just a little quicker than removing the memory card.)

Digikam and gphoto2 do recognize the camera as a generic USB PTP class camera. But they have 2 problems, one a big one. The small one is that they can't access the camera unless I am root ; some sort of permissions problem. The big one is that when they access the camera, the directory of files is shown, but I can't do anything (view,open, delete, etc) to any of the files in the camera.

schnorrer
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.06.2006, 19:03 Uhr

Anmeldung: 09. Jan 2006

Make sure that you User xxx is member of Group Camera/gphoto2.

make sure that the user can mount devices read write permissions are set at the normal place for drives.

mzilikazi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.06.2006, 19:49 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
pampelmoose hat folgendes geschrieben::
The small one is that they can't access the camera unless I am root ; some sort of permissions problem. The big one is that when they access the camera, the directory of files is shown, but I can't do anything (view,open, delete, etc) to any of the files in the camera.

Code:
$ su
# adduser <username> camera
# CTRL+D
$ newgrp - camera

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.