24.04.2024, 04:05 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
Crust
Titel: Suggestion: dist-upgrade success/failure thread  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.06.2006, 18:16 Uhr

Anmeldung: 20. Okt 2005

Could we have a sticky thread where we can post:

[Date of dist-upgrade]
[Sucess or failure]
[if failed, symptoms of failure]
[if failed, cause of failure]
[if failed, remedy if any]

I would feel more comfortable knowing that someone has tried dist-upgrading and succeeded rather than wondering if I'll be the first one on this site to dist-upgrade that day.

I can't code very well so I can't do it, but it would be great if we had a green light icon that we could simply click for success for that day's dist-upgrade. A red light icon would take you to a form where you can fill out the symptoms, reason, and remedy. Statistics of: XX out of XX (XX%) had problems with today's dist-upgrade would be useful (could be placed beneath the green and red light icons).

The reason I'm posting this in general support is because it would be great if we can create a sticky thread here where we can post our dist-upgrade results.

Thanks.

-Crust

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
slh
Titel: RE: Suggestion: dist-upgrade success/failure thread  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.06.2006, 18:50 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Aug 2004

[Imagine a big yellow traffic light here, always]

I'm not willing to bear the responsibility to flag it green at any time, there's always potential breakage in >13'000 packages working together - subtile stuff no one notices for month or even major breakage that might only happen in odd package combinations I'm not using myself.

(Rethinking the statement above, the traffic light should always be red to be on the safe side and for legal reasons.)

Crust
Titel: RE: Suggestion: dist-upgrade success/failure thread  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.06.2006, 19:05 Uhr

Anmeldung: 20. Okt 2005

I may have not explained myself correctly. The red and green light icons are not status indicators. They are icons (buttons) that users press. The thing users would read would be the statistics.

For example: XX of XX users (XX%) have flagged the "success" icon for today's dist-upgrade

For any of the failures, users would be able to read the symptoms and possible causes/remedies.

I'm just suggesting that each user click on either the red or the green. There is no "responsibility". Only statistics.

If I read 4 out of 5 (80%) of the users have had "success" with their dist-upgrade today and I can read the failure report for the 1 person, I would be more comfortable performing a dist-upgrade.

Both green and red lights would be there for the users to click. The lights are only icons for the users to click, not status indicators. You can replace "green light" with "successful for me today icon" and "red light" with "not successful for me today icon".

-Crust

noahsark
Titel: RE: Suggestion: dist-upgrade success/failure thread  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.06.2006, 19:59 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Jun 2006
Not a bad idea. I wish I could make it happen. I see what slh means though. This could offer a false sense of security because people might not be noticing that they broke something for a while. They already do a pretty good job of letting us know when something major is borked. This latest notice on dbus was a few hours too late for me, but the fix saved my system Smilie

The other problem with doing this is that who's to say if the problem reported is with the packages or the user's system/config.? My issues w/ ATI driver and 2.6.17 kernel being an example. I was suspecting a conflict, but once I started over, everything worked -- eventually. Problem must have been just me/my system config, rather than the kernel or the driver. We could end up with lots of people in my situation flagging the dist-upgrade as bad for the day when the package isn't really broken. Additionally, the stats would likely be skewed because people tend to hit the boards more when there are problems. People w/ good dist-upgrades will be likely doing other things than looking to post they got a good upgrade.

I like the idea, crust, but I dont see a good way to implement it so that the data would reflect the real status of the packages in the repository.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.