25.04.2024, 19:58 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
feffer777
Titel: Problem mounting thumb drive  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.06.2006, 20:38 Uhr

Anmeldung: 01. Feb 2006
Lately my hd icons haven't been appearing on the desktop. KDE control center is set to have them appear. The disks are mounted, just not showing up. In an effort to correct this admittedly cosmetic problem, I did an apt-get --purge remove udev and then apt-get install udev. I know now I shouldn't have done this! Some other packages were uninstalled along with udev including some kanotix-udev packages. These didn't get reinstalled with apt-get install udev.

Now my thumb drive doesn't mount! How can I get this back? Are the other packages that got uninstalled with udev listed in a log somewhere?

I use the thumb drive daily to shuttle data and I really need to fix this asap.

TIA
Ron

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
schnorrer
Titel: Problem mounting thumb drive  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.06.2006, 20:43 Uhr

Anmeldung: 09. Jan 2006

no they aren't listied. but you can reinstall them using kpackage or apt-get update && apt-get distupgrade --fix missing

Crust
Titel: RE: Problem mounting thumb drive  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.06.2006, 22:53 Uhr

Anmeldung: 20. Okt 2005

I'm having the same problem.
See here:

http://kanotix.com/index.php?name=PNphp ... highlight=

I believe it's a kde bug, but I have no idea how to fix it. I don't think it's a udev bug, but I don't know much. Winken

To fix your situation, do:
apt-get install atmel-firmware hal initscripts-kanotix-live kanotix-udev-config playvideodisk-kanotix udev

If you find a fix for the device icon problem on the desktop in kde, please post the fix in one of these threads.

Thanks.

-Crust

schnorrer
Titel: RE: Problem mounting thumb drive  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.06.2006, 23:08 Uhr

It is not a bug with KDE nor with UDEV. It is a simple config error with kderc.

I have done all my d-u's with changing to init 3, than do the Upgrade. Poor I got the same. But with changing to XORG7.0 I do my d-u's by running right from the Splash with the cheat init 3 or somtimes with init 1(single-user) and had no further hanging with lost or not shown device-lables.

My thought is when changing to console mode without shuting down kde and XORG, one of those locked the session and did lock some of the .rc's upgrade too.

Now I should look at XORG-Sources hope to find the bug.

The other bugs with LPT and Kprinter have gone. btw. I'm Not a programmer.

feffer777
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.06.2006, 06:14 Uhr

Thx guys, I was able to get the thumb drive to mount again normally. Crust, I did "apt-get install atmel-firmware hal initscripts-kanotix-live kanotix-udev-config playvideodisk-kanotix udev" as you suggested and that seemed to work. I'm curious though, how did you know those were the needed packages? Did you do "apt-get -s remove udev" to see what would have happened? BTW, I saw your report of the bug earlier and posted my "vote" on the report.

Schnorrer, I have been doing "control alt F1" to stop kde and drop into text mode, then init 3 and d-u from there. As I understand the only difference is that you reboot and at the grub screen do 3 (cheat code) to boot directly into text, runlevel 3. Is that right? And did that fix the problem of hd icons not appearing on the desktop? Also what did you mean, "It is a simple config error with kderc"? Is there some code there I can alter?

Regards,
Ron

Crust
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.06.2006, 08:27 Uhr

feffer777: "apt-get -s remove udev" is exactly what I did.
Next time you want to reinstall something, somthing like "apt-get install --reinstall udev" is simpler and more effective.

Schnorrer: I also am interested in what you find out. I don't think I fully understand your post, probably because of my lack of knowledge on kde.

-Crust

schnorrer
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 17.06.2006, 11:18 Uhr

Crust, the first time I changed to XORG 7, ther were some conf-files not updated. next I got kmix always fullscreen, even when kmix was closed before. That happens after the swicht to console and switching to runlevel 3. Stopping kde and XORG. Done the d-u and the Problem with the symbols for cd and hds fs-kmix was still there. But I knew I had closed kmix and my Symbols were there, were I placed them.

So I take a lock at the ~rc files for KMIX and kde. than I found some occurances for KMIX in kderc. They told me, the kde-session was pinned (not updated) to a session some days before. Setting save/freeze Session when shutting down the PC.

I removed this lines from the kderc, set al as usual. but this time I do the full shutdown for the whole pc.
With the following Boot, the cheat init 3 and a d-u does not freeze or remove my settings for the Drive-symbols. They stayed where I put them, kmix didn't come FS up. and I'm lucky.

But with some later d-u's other errors/missmatches occur. Printersettings lost, Alsa did not work it should. all solved.

Hope you now understand what I mean.

By Gerhard

Crust
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 19.06.2006, 20:04 Uhr

schnorrer,

Thank you for posting and trying to help us out. Unfortunately, I still do not understand what you are trying to say. Could you list the files in question?
Are you talking about ~/.kderc ?
Are you talking about the config files in ~/.kde/share/config ?

Could you please detail what lines you removed in what files?

Thanks.

-Crust

schnorrer
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 19.06.2006, 22:41 Uhr

starting with ~/.kde/kderc. this is the general config file for kde normaly not shown in konqueror, until you mark show hidden files.

If kde isnt really shut-down, this file (and others too) are never overwritten or modified by an upgrade. but marked as bad.

With starting kde the next time the fs is checked, and ~/.kde/kderc is overwritten by /etc/kde/kderc.

That is the point, users struggle with kde and missing links.

Same with the meantioned rc-files happens, when the rc-files are in use while updating.

My pref. to dist-upgrade is: shut-down reboot the pc, and while grub-menu is viewed enter the cheat-code init 3.
You now been prompted for a console login without starting kde or xorg. Than I do the normal apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade.

Sometimes I forgot when KDE is upgraded and I'm asked for replaceing the RC-Files with that from the maintainer to enter explizity no do not replace, I got the same Shit what you've got.

Because the maintainer's RC-files are teh default ones with set no symbols for un/mounted drives/partitions.

Hope is now clear.

Crust
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.06.2006, 00:07 Uhr

schnorrer,

Thank you very much. What you mention about the rc-files makes sense, but:

I always do the "3" cheat code and dist-upgrade trick.
I don't have a hidden file: ~/.kde/kderc
I don't have a file: /etc/kde/kderc

I have a hidden file ~/.kderc
I have a directory /etc/kde3/
I still have no /etc/kde3/kderc

-Crust

schnorrer
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.06.2006, 12:03 Uhr

but you have a file /etc/skel/.kderc a file ~/.kde/share/config/.kderc.

Sorry for posting you the pathes now. But I was too lazy. No wonder I had tempraturs here at nearly 40°C in front of my PC's

feffer777
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.06.2006, 02:07 Uhr

I noticed that quite a few people have reported this bug, so maybe it'll get addressed soon. This isn't a solution, but one guy said he got his hd icons to pop out on the desktop by going to Control Center > Peripherals > Storage Media > Advanced and unchecking / rechecking "CD Polling" then apply. I tried this and it did work. Like I said, it's not a solution.

Regards,
Ron

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.