25.04.2024, 18:21 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
h2
Titel: amd socket 939 x2 price cut 50% - piper alert!!  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.06.2006, 20:26 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

if you've been thinking of going to dual core, sometime next month is the time:

full story

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
stryder
Titel: RE: amd socket 939 x2 price cut 50% - piper alert!!  BeitragVerfasst am: 24.06.2006, 04:58 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Jun 2005

Price wars - ah, I the kind of wars I like. Thanks for the heads-up, h2.

I have a P4 which I use for work and a P3 which I use as a server and my internet gateway. I have also been using it to play movies out to my TV. That's where kanotix resides. Lately have been feeling the limitations of the P3 - movies getting a little jerky and have been mulling the merits of upgrading. Problem is whether to go the full distance and wait for dual core to hit mainstream, or to get a much cheaper (perhaps even used) computer and retire the P3 while continuing to work with my P4. Since I don't game, more and more powerful computers seem a waste of resources and yet the pull of getting the latest technology is very strong. On the other hand I can't think of what else I might want to do on my computer that I cannot do currently on my P4 (only 2.53 but quite adequate). I enjoy using linux and if I didn't have to use XP for work-related programs and to visit some sites that use activex I would have just installed kanotix on the P4 and be done with it. But it seems that I will have to maintain 2 systems (actually 3 as I have an ibook) for quite a long time.

drb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.06.2006, 10:22 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Jul 2004

This looks very interesting as I have been holding off upgrading my 4.5 year old computer. I noticed that the S939 3700 (not X2) has dropped in price by 40% in the UK in the last week. It looks good value for a non-dual core processor - but it may be worth waiting for the 4200 X2 when it drops in price.

Presumably this is being done to compete with intel - I've built 6 AMD boxes for friends over the last few years. What's the general view of AMD vs Intel these days? Value for money, performance, Linux mainboard compatibility etc.

drb

piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.06.2006, 16:49 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
piper --<>--

is wiping drool from his chin !! thanks h2 Smilie

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
kenyee
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.06.2006, 17:39 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Jan 2006

Dual core AMD is much better than Intel until Core 2 Duo is released...less power used and faster performance and true 64-bit.

slh's Kanotix kernel runs very well (except ALSA seems stuck at 1.0.11rc4) on a dual core Opteron 165 Smilie

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.06.2006, 18:48 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

this is one of those perfect moments to buy or upgrade, amd is moving to the am2 socket, but will continue making the 939 stuff for a while. But at half the price it was. Since there is very little difference technically between the am2 and 939 stuff, if you go with the amd 939 x2 3800 you will get by far the most processor value of any of these options. That's faster than the amd 3000 I bought only about 7 months ago, and it's dual core. Sigh.... I was waiting for this price drop, but I couldn't wait any longer so I just had to go with the single core 3000, which is plenty fast for my needs, but dual core is amazing when you do heavy processor tasks, like multimedia processing for example.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.