29.03.2024, 10:29 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
keithp
Titel: Floppy disks with 2006-rc4  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.08.2006, 19:08 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Mar 2005
I am having an on-going problem with not being able to use floppy disks with 2006-rc4.

If I insert a disk and click the desktop floppy icon, I get the error message:

Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: /dev/fd0 already mounted or /media/floppy0 busy
mount: according to mtab, /dev/fd0 is already mounted on /media/floppy0

I cannot write to the floppy, either.

If I right-click the floppy desktop icon, one of the options is "mount", rather than "unmount"

If I then click on the "mount" option, I get the error message:

mount: /dev/fd0 already mounted or /media/floppy0 busy
mount: according to mtab, /dev/fd0 is already mounted on /media/floppy0
Please check that the device is plugged correctly

Floppies work with other distros, so it must be plugged correctly!

I have had this problem ever since I installed 2006-rc4.

I have tried putting another floppy icon on the desktop, linking it to the device, but it is still the same.

As there is nothing in the archives about this problem, I must be the only one still using floppy disks!

I have mangaed to avoid using them up to now, but I now really do need to use them.

Please can anyone help?

Many thanks

Keith

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
h2
Titel: RE: Floppy disks with 2006-rc4  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.08.2006, 19:33 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

I tested this, seems to work fine, but not quite intuitively.

Make sure unmounted floppy drive is on desktop, then click on it once, konqueror opens, with contents of floppy.

kde control center -> desktop -> device icons [check 'show unmounted floppy drive]

Remove all the stuff you've done yourself to try to solve this first since that may just muddle up stuff.

As usual, what konqueror shows first here is not quite what you will see in the standard konqueror, in this case it's media:/fd0

And in standard konqueror, the data is found in /media/floppy0

However, this is on a fully dist-upgraded system, with all the new hal stuff that's been coming out.

If you are using the stock install, you may have to upgrade it, I'm not sure, I've never tested stock easter rc4 for floppy support.

h2
Titel: RE: Floppy disks with 2006-rc4  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.08.2006, 19:54 Uhr

<update>I tested this on a vanilla easter rc4 too, and the floppy reads fine there too. Slow, but fine.

Make sure this is your floppy line in /etc/fstab

/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0

keithp
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 19.08.2006, 21:23 Uhr

Hello h2

Thank you for your help.

It is now working.

The line in /etc/fstab is correct.

If I use the floppy desktop icon which was put there in the installation, I get the error message and it doesn't work.

But, if I create a floppy desktop icon linking to the floppy device (right click on the desktop), it works. I have to right click on the icon and select "unmount" to unmount the floppy when I take it out of the drive.

Thanks again,

Keith

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.08.2006, 00:08 Uhr

It's still not working correctly, although it's sort of working, you don't need to unmount the icon when it's working correctly.

Normal use it's simple, put in floppy, click on icon, floppy begins to read disk, konqueror opens showing contents. Once done, just remove disk. That's how it worked on the stuff I tested it with, my guess is that when you made the desktop icon something got confused, but it's hard to say, it seems to work fine as is.

keithp
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.08.2006, 15:21 Uhr

Hello h2.

I decided to have a fresh start, so I did a clean install on a spare hard drive. There were no upgrades and no post-installation setting up. I didn't add a second floppy desktop icon as I did yesterday.

This is what happens.

I put a floppy disk in and click on the floppy icon. There is a few seconds of floppy disk activity, but the Konqueror window remains empty, even after several minutes. However, the Konqueror 'activity' icon keeps going round all the time.

If I open /media/floppy0, the folder shows the disks contents.

If I put another floppy disk in and click on the icon, I get the error messages.

The floppy disk desktop icon's menu always shows 'mount', never 'unmount'. But that may be intentional!

If I reboot, I can again only run one floppy, getting the contents from /media/floppy0.

It is the same, rebooting and logging in as root.

That is the brief result of my morning's work!

I am lost as to what to do next, apart from adding (and using) a second desktop floppy icon.

Cheers

Keith

Kano
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.08.2006, 15:25 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

Maybe try disabling the fstab entry with a # before.

keithp
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 20.08.2006, 16:43 Uhr

Thanks for the suggestion, Kano.

Sorry, but it hasn't solved the problem. In fact, it is worse, as the /media/floppy0 folder is now always empty! Clicking on the desktop icon is as it was before.

Cheers

Keith

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.