16.04.2024, 07:08 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
al3
Titel: Does Kanotix come with scanning software?  BeitragVerfasst am: 24.08.2006, 06:06 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005

Hi folks. I MUST buy a printer/scanner/copier tomorrow. Assuming I get an HP that is listed on linuxprinting.org, will the scanner work with 2005-04 or will I need to install some extra software. I never had a scanner before and know nothing about them.

I'm going to get a ton of hard copy docs I have to fill out with pen and ink and fax them. I no longer have a fax machine... so I will need to scan them and upload to www.maxemail.com.

Thanks,

Al

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
jbs1136
Titel: RE: Does Kanotix come with scanning software?  BeitragVerfasst am: 24.08.2006, 07:09 Uhr

Anmeldung: 15. Jul 2006
I have the easter 2006 rc4 distro and it has a program called kooka in the kmenu under graphics. I have an epson scanner/printer and it works with no problems. I am new to linux but I hooked it up via usb and rebooted. Used the control panel to install the printer and everything works like it should, except I can't print from firefox. I haven't figured out why because I can print. Anyway, I have scanned a couple of papers with no problems.

John

al3
Titel: RE: Does Kanotix come with scanning software?  BeitragVerfasst am: 24.08.2006, 07:19 Uhr

Thanks. I have kooka in my menu. Maybe this will be a no-brainer. I'll probably get an HP 2575 as it is on sale at Staples for $139 (reg. $179). It is rated with linuxprinting.org as working well with Linux.

Al

al3
Titel: RE: Does Kanotix come with scanning software?  BeitragVerfasst am: 24.08.2006, 07:24 Uhr

One question. I've never used a scanner. Do you start kooka and then initiate the scan with the hardware... or do you scan first and then bring up kooka? Does the software control the scanner at all.... similar to a print button in an application that sends the file to the printer?

Al

clubex
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.08.2006, 11:38 Uhr

Anmeldung: 30. Nov 2005

AFAIK Kooka is a frontend for SANE the Linux scanning program.

http://www.sane-project.org/

Use the site check to for compatibilty and visit the site's forums for
user input..

Kooka is also a OCR application. If SANE is setup correctly Kooka
will automatically detect a USB scanner.

You scan directly from Kooka and also use it to manipulate your
images.

I last set up my scanner Medion 4394 over a year ago and it wasn't
entirely easy . Perhaps it's easier now.

Apologies if this is a bit terse. A family crisis so I have little time.

Ensure you get the CD which comes with the scanner as some scanners
can only function under SANE if one of the firmware files has been
installed on your computer.

hotloophiker
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.08.2006, 18:17 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Feb 2006

Suggest you get a printer listed at SANE rather than LinuxPrinters. I have a usb HP1310 all-in-one that SANE recognizes as such but can't seem to talk to KOOKA or anything else. Heaven knows I've tried! The printer is not listed at SANE so I assume that is why the scanner function does not work.

egal
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.08.2006, 19:07 Uhr

Anmeldung: 18. Aug 2004
Hi,

hotloophiker hat folgendes geschrieben::
I have a usb HP1310 all-in-one that SANE recognizes as such but can't seem to talk to KOOKA or anything else. Heaven knows I've tried! The printer is not listed at SANE so I assume that is why the scanner function does not work.

Is it an PSC 1310?
Do you have tried hplip, it's listed as supported for sane-scanning.

hotloophiker
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 24.08.2006, 23:20 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Feb 2006

Thanks egal, yes that's the correct printer, but been there done that with HPLIP. It's been over a year since I installed the printer and I noticed there have been various updates. Maybe I'll wipe everything clean and start again and hope CUPS doesn't go nuts. What always bothered me is the comments from the developers themselves, bad mouthing what they did in PYTHON. CUPS and SANE seem to see everything ok but no HPLIP.

jiro
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.08.2006, 01:54 Uhr

Anmeldung: 27. Jun 2005

well, i have an epson all-in-one (CX3200) that works with kooka just fine, without tweaking or anything. i just start kooka, adjust the settings if needed, hit the preview and then the scan buttons, choose a format to save in, and save.

but kooka is not as nice as the MS scanning utility included in MS office, which can create multipage TIFF documents that i find very convenient (except that i don't know of a linux viewer for multipage TIFF files)

jbs1136
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.08.2006, 02:08 Uhr

Anmeldung: 15. Jul 2006
clubex,

Hope the family emergency is okay. Thanks for the link. I knew it worked but will check out the site for further info.

John

jiro
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 26.08.2006, 18:05 Uhr

al3: check out xsane - this is also a frontend for sane, but it can do multipage scans as well

egal
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 26.08.2006, 19:11 Uhr

Anmeldung: 18. Aug 2004
Hi,

jiro hat folgendes geschrieben::
but kooka is not as nice as the MS scanning utility included in MS office, which can create multipage TIFF documents that i find very convenient (

Xsane: batch-scanning & multiplepage documents as TIF/PDF/PS.

Zitat:
except that i don't know of a linux viewer for multipage TIFF files)

not directly, but 'convert' makes for example multiple JPEGs or one PDF; i've expanded the konqi-ActionMenu for doing this on mouseclick

tif.jpg
 Beschreibung:
 Dateigröße:  29.38 KB
 Angeschaut:  11877 mal

tif.jpg

jiro
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 27.08.2006, 04:52 Uhr

thanks. now that i found xsane - which, i believe, will write multipage PDFs - i will just scan to pdf format and use kpdf for viewing

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.