16.04.2024, 11:29 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
piper
Titel: Linux Beats Windows in India  BeitragVerfasst am: 03.09.2006, 16:44 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Linux Beats Windows in India

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Gowator
Titel: RE: Linux Beats Windows in India  BeitragVerfasst am: 04.09.2006, 15:54 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2004
OK, someone has to answer.
If it wasn't for the reality of so many poeple using Windows I'd say this is as news worthy as olympic athelete beats legless man in 100m but life is strange and this is newsworthy....

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger  
piper
Titel: RE: Linux Beats Windows in India  BeitragVerfasst am: 04.09.2006, 18:06 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Well, to me it is newsworthy.

How many people does India have compared to the US & Europe combined ?

If and a BIG if, all of India switches to linux (which M$ just had representitives there the same time rms was there pushing their monopoly) that is a huge cost loss and a kick in the @ss for M$. It is very nice to see countries say NO to a rootkit.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Cathbard
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.09.2006, 09:47 Uhr
Artist
Artist

Anmeldung: 11. Aug 2005
This is actually quite significant. People outsource IT to India all the time now. Too many times I've heard a phone call start with that familiar pause while VOIP switches in to be greeted by an Indian trying to sell me internet or holidays or yak fat or some other load of tripe How many times do you call a tech support department to be answered by someone with a heavy Indian accent?
india are becoming a huge force in the IT world. Oh my goodness gracious!!

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Gowator
Titel: Re: RE: Linux Beats Windows in India  BeitragVerfasst am: 05.09.2006, 13:05 Uhr

piper hat folgendes geschrieben::
Well, to me it is newsworthy.

How many people does India have compared to the US & Europe combined ?

If and a BIG if, all of India switches to linux (which M$ just had representitives there the same time rms was there pushing their monopoly) that is a huge cost loss and a kick in the @ss for M$. It is very nice to see countries say NO to a rootkit.

Piper I agree, I'm just saying in a sane world a headline stating (I'm expanding in bash completion mode with env var's for linux and windows)

"Free more secure and more flexible operating system beats expensive, insecure resource eating OS in anywhere"

shouldn't be news worthy....

I agree it is for the reasons you state but logically it shouldn't be!

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger  
piper
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Linux Beats Windows in India  BeitragVerfasst am: 05.09.2006, 16:33 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Logically, windows is a rootkit and why someone would pay big $$ for a rootkit, I have no clue WinkenSmilie

Gowator
Titel: Re: RE: Re: RE: Linux Beats Windows in India  BeitragVerfasst am: 06.09.2006, 14:45 Uhr

piper hat folgendes geschrieben::
Logically, windows is a rootkit and why someone would pay big $$ for a rootkit, I have no clue WinkenSmilie

Dude even if it was FREE....

It would be like
"man chooses not to get infected by anthrax"

Postal room worker Joe Doe chose not to get infected by anthrax today, even though it was free. He had a packet labelled military grade anthrax delivered to his post room and was going to open it and breath it in when he called his Dr.
His Dr. recommended that anthrax was particualrly dangerous and that even if he survived he would be suffering the after affects for the rest of his life.

Representatives at athrax corp say they can't understand the decision, they were willing to give him the anthrax for free and sell him there own pharmacuticals at a very competitive price.

"We can't understand some people" said Gill Bates head of athrax crops marketing. "We offered our own anti-viral" products for free in the bundle.

Joe doe's MD, Dr. Linus commented...
Anthrax is a bacteria not an virus, anti virals have no effect on it and Joe Doe would have been forced to subscribe to third party pharmacuticals.

"Some people are just pananoid and have it in for anthrax corp" said Gill Bates, "we usually charge for this product but were willing to give a trial for free, when people choose not to trust us we find it very inconveneint"

piper
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Linux Beats Windows in India  BeitragVerfasst am: 06.09.2006, 17:00 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

hehe lol Smilie

Cathbard
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 08.09.2006, 05:50 Uhr
Artist
Artist

Very clever Gowater. Lachen Lachen

Of course we all know that Linux/GNU's competition isn't M$, Adobe et al. It's pirated M$, Adobe et al. Apart from businesses who have to watch their asses who actually pays for their anthrax-wares?

Gowator
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.09.2006, 12:01 Uhr

Ooh dunno, I know that you can get free samples of anti-virals from lots of places but they only ever give you the first part of the course then you have to pay to finish the course. I wasn't aware of a threat to Linux though, I thought that they had a mutant gene made them almost impervious to viral infections?

Anyway, I got pretty concerned by all this so I decided to email Gill Bates, apparently she doesn't answer Emails but a helpful support person called mail-bot was really helpful.

"Dear Mr/Mrs Gowator: I am taking the time to send this highly personalised eMail in place of Mrs. Bates who is currently shooting an advertising movie called Pyscho II. Thank you for your concern and viri and our products, we can assure you anthtrax corps products are the safest in the world and the only ones which meet the Pentagon's stringent QC standards. Indeed products exist to combat viri in our system which do even not exist in loonix and other systems.
Many people's concern over viri is unfounded, it is a normal part of development to be infected by viri so that our bodies native systems can build immunity. How can these other systems be safe when they have no aquired immunity to different viri which can mutate and cause infection in previously immune systems?

We urge you to try some of our world class products with a full money back guarantee (so long as the seal is intact) such as BirdFlu and BirdFluII its popular sucessor.
We believe once you try these outstanding products your life will never be the same without them and you will want some of our other products like BirdFluII vaccine which we offer at very competitve prices.
Your sincerly mail-bot"

Cuddles
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.09.2006, 14:45 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Jul 2004
Cute! Very cute!

Not reading the article posted, just grazing for tid-bits today, I have to comment...

Its not so much that a "Country" is switching, technically, even in the USA, lots of places are switching...

Most "big" corporations, from what I hear, now run Linux as a server for a host of satallite "Windows" systems, and, again, from what I hear, a lot of those "IT" people, are trying to push to get more of the "out-lying" Windows systems replaced with Linux as well ( for some reason, these IT professionals seem to think that a secure and stable corporation topography includes more Linux, and less, Windows? Havent a clue where they get that idea? )

The hard part is, its unpublished "switching". The companies that are running "Linux" as the server, or in the "background" are doing this switching without the knowledge of its users, or the general publics knowledge. Or would that be "interest" of knowing? Doesnt really matter, though, if someone replaces Windows with Linux, at the server level, most of the out-lying systems that connect to it, wouldnt, or dont, recognize the change. ( other than the fact the IT professional would, through less connection, security, stability, calls, possibly )

As for the "user", it would be transparent to them, there system would still have the problems, just not the systems they connect to. So, how would it effect, or be noticed, by them?

Heck... If I "HAD" to run Windows... I would AT LEAST run Linux as the central core... I'd have less headaches, and let the users who "want" that OS, deal with dealing with it - my core would be happy...

Anyway, cute GoWater, had to laugh... I want Anthrax! I want Anthrax! Gimme! Gimmie! Gimmie! Lachen

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Yahoo Messenger  
Gowator
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.09.2006, 15:02 Uhr

Cuddles hat folgendes geschrieben::
Cute!
Anyway, cute GoWater, had to laugh... I want Anthrax! I want Anthrax! Gimme! Gimmie! Gimmie! Lachen

Sometimes I try and write funny stuff and then realise the world is a lot funnier when its meant to be factual

Here is an abolute slide splitting article, I think its meant to be serious?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/c ... 326654.stm

Cuddles
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.09.2006, 15:05 Uhr

GoWater,

BTW, it is "newsworthy", not quite sure if "I" would be making it news though...

If I was "in charge" of the stabily, security, and usefulness, of a "BIG" corporation, I am not really "sure" if I would be publishing it though. Consider this, if I was in the position of making the company I work for, more profitable, than, say, my competition, I wouldnt WANT them to know my "little black box" that gives me an "edge" over them, would I?

I would keep my mouth shut, and fake my competition out. Letting them believe that I have to deal with the same as they have to, I just seem to be doing it better than they are, right?

Case in point... M$ came under serious fire when it was found that they were not releasing "hidden hooks" that only they knew about, inside there own OS and developing software. It gave them, and there products, an unfair advantage over "seriously proficient programmers" who could write better programs, but, were not knowing of these "hidden" advantages. It gave M$'s programs an advantage over the same program not using these things. Not sure what ever happened, but, I think, M$ had to publish the "special undocumented hooks" to there software, because it was deamed unfair business practices, but, you get the idea...

Linux, even if its run in the background, or, back-office, gives an advantage, over a non-Linux one... I'd prefer to keep my advantages a secret from my competion, IMHO Sehr glücklich

Cuddles
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.09.2006, 15:39 Uhr

GoWater,

Now that article is a RIOT!!!!!

Let me see, hmmmm, if a 3rd party, intent on protecting me, can "hack" into the touted Vista OS, jee-wiz, wonder if someone WHO ACTUALLY WANTS TO DO SOME DAMAGE, could get in as well??? Oh My Friggin God!

I'd say, if a security software business cant find a way into a system, then, the OS company HAS FINALLY done there job right!

Mr. Lamb's comments on "Do you want someone who is intent on protecting your system, getting into the internals of your system... that is, over, your trusted OS company?" - HELL YES! They have more "good" and "beeter" interests in my system than say a hacker, or cracker, does... and HE doesnt see that? OMG! What a CLUELESS WONDER!

This whole thing reminds me of when I was running Miyagi, and I'd ask Locsmif to see if he could get in... I'd rather have a "trusted" person hack me, then one I dont, or have a clue is, hacking me... Mr. Lamb, I confess, should be shot before he populates!!!!!

Cuddles
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.09.2006, 15:54 Uhr

Piper,

Just had the chance to read that article...

Good News, and, maybe, some Bad News Frage

Students, learning to work on Linux? Hmmm, can we see "maybe" where this is going??? Possible more viri for Linux, more attacks, more security issues? More of the "lion share" in the market, makes for more popularity. More popularity, and Linux may not be able to hide behind the bohemieth of Windows as the largest OS to hack????

I'd like to see Linux grow, and even take over the "other" OS alternative, but, I cant seem to feel a little "cautious" about it as well... I kind of like being the under-dog, the small, insignificant, speck on the wall... You dont get noticed, and you dont draw too much attention to yourself. This reflects on the "Look! Lets Get THAT!" feeling, that comes from running a World Wide Popular OS, like Windows.

The flip-side of this coin, is, of course, that, Linux may only get "stronger" as it grows, more stable, more popular, and more secure, from all the influx, but, who knows?

Oh well, only time will tell,

Cathbard
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.09.2006, 16:39 Uhr
Artist
Artist

I always find the "Windows gets hacked more because it's used more" to be totally erroneous. Windows has never been big in the server market and servers are a bigger target than desktops. Windows is simply less secure.
My experience in the corporate IT world is that winblows workstations hanging off some sort of 'nix server is the norm. This is nothing new, at least not in Australia and I doubt we do things any differently down here. The largest LAN/WAN network here by far is the ex-government Telco's and it consists of Winblows workstations on a Novell network.

Cuddles
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.09.2006, 17:02 Uhr

I totally agree Cathnard!

I honestly dont think the attackers are doing because its a Windows OS, or a Linux, or a MAC, but, rather, because its able to be attacked. "Something" makes it a target, popularity is a biggy, especially from what I hear, if the person wants to be noticed, go after something big, but, even if its BIG, if they cant, they will move on to other...

I guess it could be said the same for cars, and the whole profession of stealing them... Even if its a mazaratti, if its got an electrified fence, guard dogs, securoty (armed) guard, and twety-four hour Police Station on the premisses next to it, the theif is going to move on to an easier target... I sure would, and I dont even steal.

Windows has had years, and many versions, to back up its claim to this fame. It is "known" to be insecure, unstable, and hack-able -=- kind of hard to live down that type of reputation, even if they could muster up any hype that it isnt. Vista appears to be only "throttling" the engine, even more - though it does have a lot of neato hype behind it, it still has to contend with the "history" of M$, and its "known" issues.

If anything, Linux has that going for it... Lots of people with the concern of making it better than any alternative... and Windows... making itself the best looking, and not so much of making any less of a name for itself in the places it should be concerned about being shameful of.

Windows looks good on the outside, shinny, glossy, pretty, but, Linux, on the other hand, has "whats under the hood" that makes it actually shine. I tend to like that a whole lot better.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.