20.04.2024, 01:51 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
mzilikazi
Titel: cdrkit (fork of cdrtools) uploaded to Debian, please test  BeitragVerfasst am: 04.09.2006, 19:35 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
The future of cdrecord is about to change (some more). It's been forked due to license issues. Read all about it here.

Redhat has even been invited to join in the fun.

This might get interesting since it's going to require alot of applications to be modified.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
piper
Titel: RE: cdrkit (fork of cdrtools) uploaded to Debian, please tes  BeitragVerfasst am: 04.09.2006, 21:45 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Yes, this could be very interesting and I hope it goes smooth Winken

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
hubi
Titel: RE: cdrkit (fork of cdrtools) uploaded to Debian, please tes  BeitragVerfasst am: 04.09.2006, 22:11 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
Well, I'm burning quite regularely different types of CDs (audio, data, iso to data), so I definitely will test it out when it's in the repository. Hope it can be integrated into k3b, I do not want to go back to command-line-burning (too lazy for that).

Changing the licence of cdrtools is quite a sad thing (it just worked perfectly, no need for nero), but on the other hand, it seems to be a chance not to rely on one person and his personal preferences (to put it politely).

I have read Mr. Schilling's statements on a public forum at heise.de, and I do not think, he does not see the legal implications of his licence move, though publicly he states no incopatibilities between GPL and CDDL.

hubi

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
slam
Titel: RE: cdrkit (fork of cdrtools) uploaded to Debian, please tes  BeitragVerfasst am: 04.09.2006, 22:12 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
I don't care if it does go smooth - all you nasty folks out there breaking copyrights and anti-terror law!!!
I am willing to sit and wait until they managed to jail you, and after that I will happily just copy my self produced ms-word files to cd/dvd. By the way - I hope this is still legal, right? Winken
Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
piper
Titel: RE: cdrkit (fork of cdrtools) uploaded to Debian, please tes  BeitragVerfasst am: 04.09.2006, 22:29 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
ROFL Smilie (in a jail cell)

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
jackiebrown
Titel: RE: cdrkit (fork of cdrtools) uploaded to Debian, please tes  BeitragVerfasst am: 05.09.2006, 00:15 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005
That developer was an ass.

Just a quick look at his home page tells you what he thinks of linux.

For a demonstration type out
Code:
cdrecord --version
in a terminal and read the last line.

Cathbard
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.09.2006, 06:51 Uhr
Artist
Artist

Anmeldung: 11. Aug 2005
I have just spent about an hour following links from this post and one thing glares me in the face: Why are so many developers such arrogant pigs?
Yet another reason why Kanotix is such a great distro. Everybody here jokes around a bit with each other but when it comes down to it everybody shows respect to each other and displays a healthy level of humility. It seems that a lot of other developers could take a lesson from Kanotix.
This forking of cdrtools is a great idea even if it does nothing more than remove one more arrogant **censored** from the process.

drb
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.09.2006, 10:59 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Jul 2004

I'm confused as to what this means; what does all this mean for k3b funtionality? There is a dummy cdrecord update today for forking to wodim. Is it necessary to stay 'safe' by locking cdrecord etc. or is this going to be a 'safe' transition?

drb

jackiebrown
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 07.09.2006, 01:17 Uhr

Doesn't look like any problems.

jackiebrown
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.09.2006, 04:03 Uhr

I just went through the Debian bug reports for the old cdrtools. I think I was being too kind when I said that Jörg Schilling was an ass. He was a real SOB.

Good riddance.

slam
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.09.2006, 18:47 Uhr

jackiebrown hat folgendes geschrieben::
I just went through the Debian bug reports for the old cdrtools. I think I was being too kind when I said that Jörg Schilling was an ass. He was a real SOB.

Good riddance.

I understand that it became inacceptable for the Debian community when he decided to put his code under an GPL-incompatible license, and I also understand that his sometimes very egomaniac point of view and aggressive style made it impossible to work together - or even communicate.

But although he might be a rude person with very bad manners and minimal flexibility, we all should all not forget what he did for the open source community: Mr. Schilling has contributed half of his life and most of his powers and gifts to create very valuable, well written open sourced code, which is still very much appreciated and widely used. He donated it to the world, whichever license he used.

For that he still has my honest respect.

Greetings,
Chris

Zuletzt bearbeitet von slam am 09.09.2006, 22:29 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
jackiebrown
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.09.2006, 21:38 Uhr

No respect here when on the Debian mailing lists he constantly told users to switch to Solaris and called the linux kernel a piece of junk.

No matter the contribution, the attitude matters and subverting linux every change he got (including constantly stating on the Debian bug lists that Debian does not care about their users and that he understood the Debian Social contract better than the Debian maintiers) was just shit.

Also, his refusual to acknowledge any change to the way linux and other OSs read devices for the past 8 years does not garner much respect.

Kudos for a great start. But that gets lost with an inflexible attitude toward change and constantly berating other users works or systems.

slam
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.09.2006, 22:36 Uhr

Zitat:
No matter the contribution, the attitude matters

Sorry, but I strongly disagree. First the contribution matters, and attitude is important, too.
I tend to judge people on contribution, not on attitude - and I feel that's the right way, for me at least.
Don't take me wrong: I value correct attitude very much. But in the end, what really matters are contributions to this world ...
However, that's my personal point of view, and I might be very wrong.
Greetings,
Chris

hubi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.09.2006, 23:01 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
slam,

I totally agree with your appreciation of Mr. Schilling's work. I used his software for more than two years on various distributions of Linux OS. But I also honour the commitment to the GPL license which was and is the one and only weapon for free software (and with similar licences for free intellectual property) to protect itself from being bought out.

Therefore I strongly support the Debian stance of proceedings, even if it would mean technical disadvantage. I strongly hope, that the intellectual power is available to proceed technically as well.

I am not working in software business, I am just a simple user of free software, but I am using free licences for my own work as well, and I am entitled to by my employer as well. And it is very important to me, that my knowledge can spread freely to anybody who thinks, my humble contributions are worth being used. But I am also strongly in favour of a licence that does not entitle other people to use my work to make money out of it, when my consideration is that it should be free, free as the FSF has stated for software.

Technically I appreciate the work of Mr. Schilling, and I was privileged to read his thoughts in the forums of heise.de. But for the freedom of knowledge, I appreciate the stance, attitude and determination of the people at Debian.

Greetings and regards
hubi

jackiebrown
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.09.2006, 23:27 Uhr

slam hat folgendes geschrieben::
Zitat:
No matter the contribution, the attitude matters

Sorry, but I strongly disagree. First the contribution matters, and attitude is important, too.
I tend to judge people on contribution, not on attitude - and I feel that's the right way, for me at least.
Don't take me wrong: I value correct attitude very much. But in the end, what really matters are contributions to this world ...
However, that's my personal point of view, and I might be very wrong.
Greetings,
Chris

You find value in going to Debian bug list and mailing list and bashing Debian and the work of others.

You find value of posting on your web page that anyone that makes changes to your GPL work is bastardizing it and acting in an illegal manner.

You find value in criticizing the Linux kernel as broken and hacked together simply because it doesn't work the way you want it to work with your program.

I am sorry but these count as contributions as well.

His work will become as relevant to linux as xfree86. Interesting and important for historically purpose but now irrelevant.

I think the Debian maintainer (and Red Hat and Suse) are propably very happy he fucked up with this license. It gives them all the excuse to fork his package.

No reason in the world a package on my system should advertise Solaris anymore than it should advertise MS$

Swynndla
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.09.2006, 23:41 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Dez 2005
jackiebrown, from what you've said, it sounds to me like Mr. Schilling has some good points to consider.

jackiebrown
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 10.09.2006, 03:05 Uhr

Swynndla hat folgendes geschrieben::
jackiebrown, from what you've said, it sounds to me like Mr. Schilling has some good points to consider.

Yep, I know that I am moving down to a 2.4 kernel or switching to Solaris.

Just to be clear that was sarcasm

Zuletzt bearbeitet von jackiebrown am 10.09.2006, 05:31 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

jackiebrown
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 10.09.2006, 04:33 Uhr

Swynndla hat folgendes geschrieben::

Here you go
http://www.gnusolaris.org/gswiki
Sehr glücklich

DeepDayze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 10.09.2006, 05:05 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

The Schilling dude has rocks in his head for sure. I feel that his backhanded remarks are good enough reason to fork the cdrecord package

Cathbard
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 10.09.2006, 05:43 Uhr
Artist
Artist

Anmeldung: 11. Aug 2005
I am afraid I agree with both of you Slam and Jackie. We should be thankful for his contributions but neither should we ignore his attacks. It's a bit like an old trusted dog getting rabies. It's sad and one hates to see what they become but in the end you just have to put them down.

slam
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 10.09.2006, 11:37 Uhr

Zitat:

His work will become as relevant to linux as xfree86. Interesting and important for historically purpose but now irrelevant.

I think the Debian maintainer (and Red Hat and Suse) are propably very happy he fucked up with this license. It gives them all the excuse to fork his package.

Now I fully agree with you, Jackie! Winken
My intention was never to find excuses for his un-excusable behaviour.
Greetings,
Chris

mzilikazi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.09.2006, 04:08 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
Linus had this to say about Joerg.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.