25.04.2024, 15:46 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
rich.bradshaw
Titel: Which distro does Linus use?  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.09.2006, 13:19 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Jan 2006

Just wondering?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Swynndla
Titel: RE: Which distro does Linus use?  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.09.2006, 02:14 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Dez 2005
I watched http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308808/ and it opened my eyes that Linus isn't in charge of linux ... he's just in charge of the kernel. There is much much more to linux than the kernel. In fact Richard Stallman (who's in charge of the GNU apps (including the compiler that compiles the linux kernel) and who is also the author of the GPL) says that linux should be called GNUlinux. After all, the GNU tools were around before the kernel existed.

I have even heard that the kernel names now starts with the name linux (eg linux-image-2.6.17-2-686 ... didn't use to apparently) because Linus is only in charge of the kernel.

Now, why don't people ask "Which distro does Stallman use?" Winken

All linux distro's use the linux kernel and the GNU tools, but different linux distro's use different higher level files/scripts/apps, that sit on top of all of this stuff (eg kde versus gnome, different package management, etc).

So the people who have done different distro's, eg debian, suse, redhat have done so with different aims/philosophies etc. I'm personally attracted to debian because it is fiercely non-corporate.

So in summary, although I have great respect for Linus, and his contributions to linux, I don't really care which distro Linus uses. Smilie

Now to answer your question, perhaps this old link helps? ...
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... adid=48080

DeepDayze
Titel: RE: Which distro does Linus use?  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.09.2006, 02:25 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

Perhaps that question should be posed to Stallman himself. Wonder if he is a Debian sort of guy Smilie

michael7
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 23.09.2006, 03:22 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Mai 2005
Swynndla,

I bought the Revolution OS DVD about a year ago. I thought it was a great documentary and would recommend it to anyone interested in Linux, GNU/Linux or whatever you want to call it.

Michael

jackiebrown
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 23.09.2006, 05:10 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005
You can bring him to your desktop by installing the "virtual Richard M. Stallman" (apt-get install vrms)

Richard
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 25.09.2006, 13:01 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Nov 2005
The last time I looked over Stallman's shoulder, in 2004 in Caracas, he was using Emacs on Debian. He seemed to use Emacs for everything, which is fitting.
Reportedly he is now using Ututo, an Argentinian distro, reputed to be more "free" than Debian.

wegface
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 26.09.2006, 08:37 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Nov 2005

From what h2 been showing us about linus it seems fitting he would choose to use Suse...... haha that rhymes.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.