19.03.2024, 09:46 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
Lilac_Haze
Titel: Backing up with live CD?  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.10.2006, 16:08 Uhr

Anmeldung: 09. Okt 2006
Hi, please can anyone advise me.

I have a HDD partitioned with Windows XP sp2 and Red Hat 9 installed. Windows won't run. RedHat will load but I can't mount any other drives/devices. I'm not worried about keeping Red Hat but have some files in Windows that I would like to keep. If I run Kanotix live disk I can mount all other drives/devices and can see that the files I want to keep are fine. I would like to install Kanotix instead of Red Hat, but ineed to know if it's possible to backup my windows files to cd while running the live cd?

Any help greatly appreciated

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
ockham23
Titel: Backing up with live CD?  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.10.2006, 16:19 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Mar 2005

Copy your files to the home folder of user knoppix, then launch k3b from the multimedia menu and insert a blank cd-r or cd-rw. Please note that space in the home folder is limited by the size of the ramdisk. So you may have to delete some files from the home folder before you can continue with your backup to cd. Don't forget to empty the trash bin before you start another backup session. Otherwise the files won't be deleted from the ramdisk and you run out of space.

This procedure will work right away if you have two optical drives in your computer. If not, you can either use cheat code toram or fromiso to free up your combo drive after booting.

Example: Kanotix-2006-01-RC4.iso is located in the root directory of an NTFS or Linux ext2/ext3/reiserfs partition. Boot computer with fromiso=K*.iso. The cheat code won't work if the iso file is located on a FAT32 partition.

mzilikazi
Titel: RE: Backing up with live CD?  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.10.2006, 16:36 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
You don't want to back up files to the live cd - it won't work since it's not possible to save the state of the cd. Boot Kanotix, mount your windows partition, start K3B and make a cd (or 2 or 3) until you have all of your data backed up. VERIFY your backups! If you have only 1 cdrom drive you can boot Kanotix as mentioned above w/ fromiso OR if you have 1G of RAM you can boot w/ toram cheatcode either of which will allow you to remove the cd from the cdrom drive. You could back up to USB media or another partition on the hard drive as well if removing the Kanotix cd is not possible for you.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Lilac_Haze
Titel: RE: Backing up with live CD?  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.10.2006, 17:48 Uhr

Hi ockham23

Thanks for your reply.
Sorry to bother you again, but I'm afraid I can't see where I enter fromiso=K*.iso. I boot kanotix directly from my cd drive by getting it read first by selecting cdrom in my bios. How else do I boot using fromiso=K*.iso?[b]

ockham23
Titel: RE: Backing up with live CD?  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.10.2006, 17:51 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Mar 2005

Just append it to the line of boot comands near the bottom of the grub boot screen with the countdown.

piper
Titel: RE: Backing up with live CD?  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.10.2006, 17:51 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
This might help, if not post back

http://kanotix.com/FAQ-id_cat-63.html#q298

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Lilac_Haze
Titel: RE: Backing up with live CD?  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.10.2006, 18:26 Uhr

Thanks everyone for all your help. Looks like I've got it!

piper
Titel: RE: Backing up with live CD?  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.10.2006, 18:30 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Great Smilie

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.