28.03.2024, 19:54 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
nitto
Titel: recomendation about 22' LCD Monitors  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.10.2006, 08:25 Uhr

Anmeldung: 31. Jul 2006
Since the larger size LCD monitors becoming more and more affordable, I'm thinking about buying one.
I was wondering if anyone has used or know much about of these large LCD monitors and able to give some recomendations/advice...
The particular model I'm interested in is:
22” Acer AL2216WD DVI Wide Screen monitor for 560 Australian dollars
[url]
http://www.acer.com.au/Acer/akc/monitor ... ;ms=expand
[/url]
Anyone has used this particular model before?

cheers

Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (George Bernard Shaw)

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden MSN Messenger  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
turbowsr
Titel: Recomended LCD  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.10.2006, 17:20 Uhr

Anmeldung: 20. Sep 2006

I've used 19" Sceptre at work for over a year, with no problems. So I bought 2 for home. Real reliable, no dead pixels. Colors are excellent. I have found nothing bad about them.

19" Sceptre Technologies at Tigerdirect. Largest Sceptre available here is 20" though.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1870817&CatId=0

I don't know about Acer's LCDs. They get great reviews. The Sceptre is a sugestion.

There is only a few manufacturers that build the LCDs. Then places like Acer, Sceptre, Viewsonic buy the top grade to put in monitors. Places like Dell, and HP, buy the the lower grade LCDs. These will have a few dead pixels considered "normal".
Somewhere (Cnet maybe?) had a review of monitors, what is acceptable as "normal", and other features. It is now outdated, but indepth.

Acer's PC's back in the beginning Pentium days, where unreliable. I don't know how they are today. But as I said before, consumer reviews of the monitors are great.

Sorry this isn't about me personnally using an Acer, just a suggestion of the Sceptre's I use.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
h2
Titel: RE: Recomended LCD  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.10.2006, 18:30 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

samsung monitors are very good, and highly rated.

Also, consider doing this instead: 2 x 19" is a lot more screen space. And 2 x 17 is probably at current prices cheaper than 1 x 22

locsmif
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.10.2006, 21:44 Uhr
Developer
Developer

Anmeldung: 18. Sep 2006

h2, yes but it also means more X, and the same amount of Y Auf den Arm nehmen

nitto, take care you check out comparative consumer research. I have a subscription to c't magazine, and although i can never be certain of their objectiveness, they do print comprehensive and detailed tables of specs of different brands, so you can compare them. I'm sure you can also find comparative spec tables online. Check for luminance, viewing angle dependency, colour distribution, image quality, and response time. If you like gaming, you need a quick response time. Benq has been known to provide that in the past, with response times of 4ms, iirc. However this is not my specialty and i don't even own an LCD monitor. I can say this though: nothing gets a better idea of what a monitor can do than looking at it in a store.

Hmm, that said, could someone enlighten me about this? I might be confused about TFT and LCD right now. (Although i do know LCD means Liquid Crystal Display and TFT means well, after looking it up: "Thin Film Transistor")

jackiebrown
Titel: Re: recomendation about 22' LCD Monitors  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.10.2006, 23:06 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005
nitto hat folgendes geschrieben::
Since the larger size LCD monitors becoming more and more affordable, I'm thinking about buying one.
I was wondering if anyone has used or know much about of these large LCD monitors and able to give some recomendations/advice...
The particular model I'm interested in is:
22” Acer AL2216WD DVI Wide Screen monitor for 560 Australian dollars
[url]
http://www.acer.com.au/Acer/akc/monitor ... ;ms=expand
[/url]
Anyone has used this particular model before?

cheers

Send me one and I will let you know Winken

h2
Titel: RE: Re: recomendation about 22  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.10.2006, 23:34 Uhr

locsmif, once you go dual you'll never go back. Think 3 or 4 applications all open next to each other, and some stacked one over the other, or stretching one across the screen.

For your money, there's no better way to get a lot of screen space.

nitto
Titel: Re: recomendation about 22' LCD Monitors  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.10.2006, 00:07 Uhr

jackiebrown hat folgendes geschrieben::

Send me one and I will let you know Winken

Lachen yeap... I'll put all my money on "jilly the fastest donkey on earth" on horse racing and when I win, I'll send one to you with "Ansett Airlines" door to door delivery. By 1st April, you should get a copy in your desk Winken

but seriously, lcd monitors going so cheap lately, I don't think there is any reason to stick with bulky crt monitors anymore. And as far as what h2 suggested, buying two 17' or 19' for around the same price of 1x22' does sound pretty interesting.

BenQ and Acer both produce similar and almost technicaly identical 22' lcd monitors. However, Acer is 5-8$ more expensive, probably due to longer term warranty that Acer provides (3 years return to producer)

Swynndla
Titel: RE: Re: recomendation about 22  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.10.2006, 01:20 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Dez 2005
Am I the only one who actually likes CRT monitors better than LCD?

h2
Titel: RE: Re: recomendation about 22  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.10.2006, 01:36 Uhr

yes, you are the one. However, it's ok to be the only one of something, it makes you unique.

I used to get major eye burning from using crt monitors, the kind of stuff that tests were beginning to show can lead to increased odds of getting cataracts, for example, and the minute I got my first lcd, my eyes stopped getting burned by those rays.

lcds aren't as clear or accurate I think as high end crts, but they also have almost no glare, and are of course totally flat.

When I look at people's crts now it feels like I am looking at a fish eye lense view.

Plus, when an lcd says it's 17", that's what it is, unlike a crt. So a 17 lcd is closer to an 18" crt, and so on.

The only thing wrong with having 2 17" lcds is that I keep wondering if maybe I shouldn't get a 3rd one...

what's annoying is that you can now buy a 22" for what I paid for a 17" 2 years ago.

jackiebrown
Titel: Re: RE: Re: recomendation about 22  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.10.2006, 03:05 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005
Swynndla hat folgendes geschrieben::
Am I the only one who actually likes CRT monitors better than LCD?

I like the prices better.

I have a CRT monitor.

locsmif
Titel: Re: RE: Re: recomendation about 22  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.10.2006, 04:11 Uhr
Developer
Developer

Anmeldung: 18. Sep 2006

h2 hat folgendes geschrieben::
locsmif, once you go dual you'll never go back. Think 3 or 4 applications all open next to each other, and some stacked one over the other, or stretching one across the screen.

For your money, there's no better way to get a lot of screen space.

Hey, don't you think i want that? Lachen

BTW, how are the opinions on widescreen displays versus 4:3 displays?

I bought my laptop (Acer 8005LMiB) among other things for the 1400x1050 display resolution, knowing that you can never (afaik) upgrade a laptop display. This resolution was pretty neat at the time. With LCD screens, you simply don't have the choice of buying a better GFX card with a higher maximum resolution later. You're fixed to the resolution you bought. And the first place to notice that your display has too little X for example (unless you have a dual head setup like h2 Smilie ) is the world wide web.
(think horizontal scrolling)

However, i never was much of a fan of widescreens. I like Y abundancy as much as X abundancy, and to get more X i opt for h2's solution.

op4latino
Titel: Re: RE: Re: recomendation about 22  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.10.2006, 04:34 Uhr

Anmeldung: 18. Jul 2005
h2 hat folgendes geschrieben::
once you go dual you'll never go back.
I agree. It doesn't matter how big a single display is, you will ran out of space easily, since everything is proportionally the same size.

About CRT, is something about opinion. I think a LCD will never have the same quality as a CRT. The down side of LCD is that if it is cheap, the angle of view will be very limited. CRT doesn't have that problem. It doesn't matter on what angle you're viewing it, color won't distorsionate. Advantage of LCD. You'll desktop will look empty and big.

h2
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: recomendation about 22  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.10.2006, 08:03 Uhr

However, as for recommendations:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDe ... ode=232493
samsung is very nice stuff, 160x160 viewing angle, bright, high contrast ratios.

There are some downsides to lcds, but not as many as with crts in my opinion.

The deskspace., by the way, isn't a small thing, you basically get your whole desk back with lcds. And the glare is something you will soon forget with lcd.

downsides are what is said, you can't raise the resolution since these are discreet physical pixels.

I'd never use crt again though for any reason, so I guess whatever downside there was didn't compare to the upsides. And I can honestly say, I have never missed crt, ever, not for one single second, since I switched.

No matter how much they tried to shield those things, the human eye was never meant to be that close to a cathode ray tube, especially a super high resolution color one.

titan
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: recomendation about 22  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.10.2006, 09:18 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Mai 2005
The only worry for me with LCD monitors are dead pixels. Most of the manufacturers have poor policies regarding what is acceptable including so called top brands. I am looking for a 19 or 20" model. I have a HItachi at the moment who had a no dead pixel policy but I think that has now changed. I can live with a dead (black or white) pixel at the edge but some makers won't replace even with up to five in the centre and even more semi dead coloured pixels. At the moment I think View sonic are alone in a no dead pixel in the centre policy.

Gowator
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: recomendation about 22  BeitragVerfasst am: 16.10.2006, 09:40 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2004
Monitors are one of those things you should try first....
Although this used to be truer fopr the CRT's it still applies to LCD's since a single model can have a fair bit of variance in terms of quality and in the end that "quality" is fairly subjective.

The top end monitors are more consistent but is it worth the extra money ? Only you can decide....
Personally I find pretty much all LCD's better than CRT's and I have a huge 20" SGI (rebadged Sony) monitor (on my GF's box).. and 2 very cheap LCD's.. on my box (and non at all on my server Winken .

In the end I bought my first LCD 4-5 years ago for about GBP £200 and its just a low end Proview 17" ... but I bought it in a store after comparing with £500 monitors of the same size...

Yes the £500 were better but they were over 2x the price ..... so I could pay up the £500, stick with my old CRT or compromise ..

I chose the compromise and got 4 good years from the £200 monitor which I could now buy for £100 ... the equivalent of the £500 I can now buy for probably £200 so I didn't loose so much ....

This year I blew the PSU in the heatwave .....and spent 2 weeks looking for a new capacitor (how hard can it be?) and in the meantime bought a widescreen ¤200 monitor ...(it has one dead pixel but that's OK) ... after delivery of the capacitor I repaired the
PSU and now have 1x1280x1024 and 1x1440x900

The point is buying the new screen 4 years ago would have cost a fortune ... so I put up with the smaller one and took the opportunity to add a second one .. yes i have a dead pixel but overall I think I got a good deal for the money...

Most importantly when the 1st monitor borked I used the money I could't spent and just bought another...
Even if I had a high end one the warranty would have expired and even if not I would have bee without a monitor for a few days? weeks?
In the end I used an old CRT I had lying around for about 2 days before just buying the new one....that was as long as I could stand the old CRT... (15")

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger  
turbowsr
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: recomendation about 22  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.10.2006, 00:16 Uhr

Anmeldung: 20. Sep 2006

Viewsonic N3250W 32" 1366x768 / 900:1 Contrast Ratio / HDMI / PC Input / LCD TV w/Speakers - Refurbished

Price:
$599.99

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... E=WEM1216C

nitto
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: recomendation about 22  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.10.2006, 00:04 Uhr

Yeap... 22' does make huge difference... the only problem now is how to fill up the screen? Smilie
I recomend this Acer al2216w to anyone, well built, quite solid and pleasure to look at

slh
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: recomendation about 22  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.10.2006, 10:58 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Aug 2004

You'll overcompensate that issue in no time, and probably start looking for 44" screens Winken

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.