28.03.2024, 21:39 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
coady
Titel: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP and Broadcom network adapter  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.10.2006, 10:39 Uhr

Anmeldung: 19. Okt 2006
OK, I am sorry, but as a noob I have to resort to the most basic and stupid of questions (so apologies in advance). I know there is plenty of very basic info available in Ubuntu forums, but frankly I choose Kanotix over Ubuntu because I think it is a fantastic distro, it should be supported, and that this support should also come from non-linux non-IT professionals (both as a personal AND political choice, i.e. quit complaining about big corporate capitalism and just switch). I wanted to make the shift from m$ to Linux without getting tangled up in another big corporate oriented project (although it probably should be said that the popularity of Ubuntu is encouraging and good for Linux in general). Although I knew it, nobody said it would be easy...

I have installed 2006-01-RC4 on a Fujitsu Siemens laptop. Everything works OK, but I have two issues.
(1) the screen is detected and runs at the correct resolution (1024x768) but the scrolling is jerky, and particularly in Firefox, which is almost unusable. Not so bad in other apps. The graphics card is: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP. Do I need to install drivers for this, and if so how? Is this the same process as for Nvidia drivers, which I have read in the forum?
(2) I have an ethernet LAN adapter and a WLAN adapter. Both are detected, and the first only required activating. So internet connection is no problem. The WLAN is: Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter. How do I go about setting this up?

A final question is: has anyone experiemented with, or set up to, share Firefox and Thunderbird profiles between windows and Kanotix. That is, can you move the mozilla profiles to a share partition (FAT32) and then point Firefox and Thunderbird in both enrvironments (WinXP and Kanotix) at the same profile folders. It sounds problematic to me, but it would be convenient.

Sorry for the dumb questions, again.
coady Traurig

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
slh
Titel: RE: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP and Broadcom network adapter  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.10.2006, 10:56 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Aug 2004

For stable bcm43xx (broadcom) connections you need at the very least kernel 2.6.18.1-slh*-2, then
Code:
su -c /usr/share/bcm43xx-fwcutter/install_bcm43xx_firmware.sh
because we can't legally distribute the firmware. After doing that (and rebooting into the new kernel) you're ready to configure it just like any other wlan card (take care that netcardconfig can't deal with wpa right now, so that needs to be configured manually --> FAQ).

coady
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 27.10.2006, 12:49 Uhr

On the last part of my question, I have just found the following link Sharing Firefox and Thunderbird profiles on a dual boot system. I haven't tried it yet, but seems to confirm the possibilty.

Also found the this:

(1)
Go to .mozilla-thunderbird/
delete the <randomnumber>.default then create a symbolic link to your windows created .default in my case its n8vm9c0p.default finally edit the .mozilla-thunderbird/profile.ini (the linux one)
Path=n8vm9c0p.default

OR

(2)
Launch thunderbird with the -profilemanager switch
mozilla-thunderbird -profilemanager
Create a profile and when you choose the folder select the existing windows one

coady

coady
Titel: Re: RE: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP and Broadcom network adapt  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.10.2006, 13:58 Uhr

slh hat folgendes geschrieben::
For stable bcm43xx (broadcom) connections you need at the very least kernel 2.6.18.1-slh*-2, then
Code:
su -c /usr/share/bcm43xx-fwcutter/install_bcm43xx_firmware.sh
because we can't legally distribute the firmware. After doing that (and rebooting into the new kernel) you're ready to configure it just like any other wlan card (take care that netcardconfig can't deal with wpa right now, so that needs to be configured manually --> FAQ).

slh,
I have the following kernel installed: 2.6.18-kanotix-1
I ran the code you provided, but when I attempt to enter the WLAN config app I am prompted for my root pw, and when I enter it, it is not valid. What's going on?
coady

slh
Titel: RE: Re: RE: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP and Broadcom network a  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.10.2006, 14:36 Uhr

Anmeldung: 16. Aug 2004

too old.

coady
Titel: Re: RE: Re: RE: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP and Broadcom netwo  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.10.2006, 14:42 Uhr

slh hat folgendes geschrieben::
too old.

OK. I am not too sure how to go about updating the kernel. Right now I am more concerned about the root pw problem... and the screen scrolling issue... I did not have a problem switching to root before I ran the code you suggested. Thanks.
coady

ockham23
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP and Broadcom n  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.10.2006, 17:38 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Mar 2005

As to the screen scrolling issue, please post the output of the following command:
Code:
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep -i driver

coady
Titel: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP and Broadc  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.10.2006, 20:43 Uhr

ockham23 hat folgendes geschrieben::
As to the screen scrolling issue, please post the output of the following command:
Code:
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep -i driver

Here is the output:
Code:
Driver      "kbd"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Driver          "synaptics"
        Driver          "synaptics"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        Driver      "vesa"

I read in another forum of a similar problem with the same graphics card (VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP) and the screen driver defaults to "vesa" (as it has on mine). The advice there is: edit the "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" from "vesa" to "via", but this has not worked in some cases. I have not tried it because I am now handicapped by the root permissions problem.

In the case where editing "xorg.conf" did not work, the advice is to use an openchrome driver which works for VIA/S3. The problem there is the binaries for the openchrome driver do not fit with my kernel (2.6.18-kanotix-1) and I do not know how to compile one (I followed the instructions here to do so, but got an error and couldn't complete). There is another link here about compiling a binary version of the openchrome driver, but I have not had time to try it.

If I edit the "xorg.conf" file, is this the correct place to change it?
Code:
Section "Device"
   Option      "RenderAccel"   "1"
   ### Available Driver options are:-
# sw_cursor is needed for some ati and radeon cards
        #Option     "sw_cursor"
        #Option     "hw_cursor"
        #Option     "NoAccel"
        #Option     "ShowCache"
        #Option     "ShadowFB"
        #Option     "UseFBDev"
        #Option     "Rotate"
   Identifier  "Card0"
# The following line is auto-generated by KNOPPIX mkxf86config
   Driver      "vesa"
   VendorName  "All"
   BoardName   "All"
#   BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

On the root pw problem, I think I messed up my regular user account because I ran:
"su -c /usr/share/bcm43xx-fwcutter/install_bcm43xx_firmware.sh"
from root which then locks the regular "user_name" out. I can still open a console and run:
su
"my_passwd"
and get root.

Can I resolve this problem using "chown", and if so, what do I need to do? I don't know what has changed.

The problem is I am not too familiar with doing complex things from the console YET, and have been using a root level text editor to "point and click" then edit files (old windows habits die hard, unfortunately). But I can't open these editors now. I must be able to login from the splash screen as root?

On the splash screen I know see two things that were not there before, i.e. icons for "session type" and "menu" (plus the date and time). What is this, KDM manager? How did they show up?

On the WLAN (Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter) issue, it seems like I need a later version of the kernel, but I don't know where to start with that. Actually I noticed (using verbose mode) when booting that Kanotix detects the WLAN card (as eth0, I think) and attempts to make and internet connection, but fails. This slows boot up down a lot.

Sorry, again for the dumb questions...
coady Verlegen

coady
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP and Br  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.10.2006, 20:48 Uhr

PS. I can see in Kpackage that the xserver via driver is installed, i.e. "xserver-xorg-driver-via"

coady

ockham23
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP and Br  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.10.2006, 22:33 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Mar 2005

Try
Code:
sux
mcedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
to modify xorg.conf.

You can either disable automatic network connection at boot or decrease the timeout value for dhclient:
Code:
mcedit /etc/network/interfaces
, delete "auto eth1", or
Code:
mcedit /etc/dhclient.conf
, replace "#timeout 60;" with "timeout 5;".

coady
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP and Br  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.10.2006, 22:39 Uhr

OK, I will give this a try. Any ideas about the other stuff...?
coady Weinen

Kano
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP and Br  BeitragVerfasst am: 28.10.2006, 00:25 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

Replace vesa by via in xorg.conf.

coady
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP and Br  BeitragVerfasst am: 28.10.2006, 00:36 Uhr

So I am not the only one up late. I will give this a try.

Kano... Kanotix is a great distro, it convinced me to change from windows to linux. Step learning curve but worth it. Thanks
coady

coady
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP and Br  BeitragVerfasst am: 28.10.2006, 01:28 Uhr

Update
In between posts I decided to reinstall Kanotix to resolve the problems with root permissions which followed from running command (see earlier post):
"su -c /usr/share/bcm43xx-fwcutter/install_bcm43xx_firmware.sh"

So I am back to a clean install.

On the video card problem (VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP), this time I edited the "xorg.conf" file and changed "vesa" to "via". Now when I attempt to boot, the boot process runs smoothly right up to the point of launching the login screen, but then no login screen. Now I have only a text based login (looks the same as verbose mode). My guess is that either X or KDM is not running or configured properly (but not sure here). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On the WLAN (Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter). I take it that I need an updated kernel before I can configure the WLAN card? Where should I begin in order to do this?

coady Smilie

Kano
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP and Br  BeitragVerfasst am: 28.10.2006, 01:29 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

Well maybe it is savage not via.

coady
Titel: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP and Br  BeitragVerfasst am: 28.10.2006, 08:19 Uhr

Does that mean I should edit "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" and change "vesa", not to "via", but to "savage"?
coady

coady
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.10.2006, 09:39 Uhr

It looks like I have had a number of problems at the same time.
(1) the broadcom WLAN setup is now separate thread (here)
(2) the password problem is either a conflict issue (installing apps that require later kdelibs than I had installed... thanks slh!) and/or a conflict which I was informed about from the debian linux forum:
Zitat:
This is actually a temporary problem with kedlibs-data (I think). It showed up in Debian Testing last week, and was finally resolved a day or two ago. It looks like there was a problem with kdesu in KDE 3.5.4, which was fixed in 3.5.5. So if you can update to 3.5.5, that should take care of it.
Does anyone know anything about this?
(3) I have edited "/etc/x11/xorg.conf" and changed the graphics driver from "vesa" to "via", however, after rebooting X desktop manager (xdm) will not start (message "not the default manager"... I think) and I am left with the text login screen. Can someone advise me on this. Is it a driver problem? A conflict? I need to change a setting for XDM or KDM? Can I force X and then KDE to boot from the text login screen? Something else...?
(4) on the driver config for "VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP" I have read that just editing "xorg.conf" to change "vesa" to "via" does not always work. The suggestion is to use a driver supplied by OpenChrome for VIA. Does anyone know about this? I think I would need to compile the OpenChrome driver for the Kanotix 2006-01-RC4 kernel (as there is not an appropriate binary for this). Where would I start with this. Bear in mind I think I might do a dist upgrade with Kanotix anyway.
Thanks,
coady
PS. piper... thanks for your hand holding, I am beginning to get over the newbie gitters!
PPS. I like the Halloween look

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.