30.04.2024, 05:18 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
etorix
Titel: New Kde :: LotsOfIt :: minor issue  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.11.2006, 07:30 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 23. Dez 2003

KDE is updating, mostly with no [zero] errors in itself

HOWEVER
knxcc-kde may vanish from kcontrols' purview

panic ye not

knxcc still works, on a tty, or in Konsole

normal knxcc-kde GUI service will be restored shortly

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
craigevil
Titel: RE: New Kde :: LotsOfIt :: minor issue  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.11.2006, 07:09 Uhr

Anmeldung: 29. Mar 2005
Notice an update for knxcc-kde today, but still no menu in kcontrol.

There is also the menu options under kmenu>kanotix>configure, for those that prefer menu options to Konsole the items are still there.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
eco2geek
Titel: RE: New Kde :: LotsOfIt :: minor issue  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.11.2006, 09:39 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Mai 2004
Doing a dist-upgrade on a daily basis can require patience.

For example, a bit ago, a new version of "frozen-bubble-data" was there, but the matching version of "frozen-bubble" (the main application) didn't arrive for 2 more days.

Likewise, the day before yesterday, a new version of K3b was installed, and it wouldn't work. Yesterday, an even newer version was installed, which no longer includes the "k3bsetup" utility (that used to be on the "Settings" menu). It works again.

Keeps life interesting!

mzilikazi
Titel: Re: RE: New Kde :: LotsOfIt :: minor issue  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.11.2006, 14:28 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
eco2geek hat folgendes geschrieben::
Doing a dist-upgrade on a daily basis can require patience.

For example, a bit ago, a new version of "frozen-bubble-data" was there, but the matching version of "frozen-bubble" (the main application) didn't arrive for 2 more days.

Likewise, the day before yesterday, a new version of K3b was installed, and it wouldn't work. Yesterday, an even newer version was installed, which no longer includes the "k3bsetup" utility (that used to be on the "Settings" menu). It works again.

Keeps life interesting!

This is exactly why I personally never do a dist-upgrade. A simple upgrade always works fine and you get to avoid some of the 'interesting' things that come with a dist-upgrade.

"But does that really work?" you ask. Well let's just say that I have a Bug Hunter install completely updated with an uptime of > 300 days. Of course there is no KDE to worry about. (KDE appears to be breakage prone in Sid or at least the numerous "I can't log in to KDE" & "My fonts look terrible" posts would seem to indicate this is the case.)

I know, I know most people recommend dist-upgrade. Well all I can say is.....have fun. Winken

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
anticapitalista
Titel: RE: Re: RE: New Kde :: LotsOfIt :: minor issue  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.11.2006, 14:38 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Mai 2005
I tend to mix using dist-upgrade and a simple upgrade. If there seems to be problems, I upgrade if not I dist-upgrade.
But like mzilikazi I don't use KDE, I use the "unbreakable" fluxbox.

slam
Titel: Re: RE: New Kde :: LotsOfIt :: minor issue  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.11.2006, 15:00 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
Without KDE and without any complex multiple dependencies you will most likely never experience problems when simply upgrading. However, some day there may be a breakage and you probably want know why (very likely because of name changes of important libs, or packaging not perfectly done by the responsible maintainer).

With KDE and multiple complex dependencies running Debian from SID repositories is entirely different - please don't compare that to a lean non-KDE Debian (that's what you actually are running now, mzilikazi). But that's what KANOTIX is all about - it comes with bleeding edge KDE. So, in KANOTIX/Debian SID you really wanna use dist-upgrade only, because it much more cleverly resolves name changes and maintainer errors. And if something temporarily goes wrong, you know why, at least.

Changes, improvements, security fixes and new features are dropping into SID every day, and the price we pay for this actuality is a higher risk of temporary problems in package interoperability. The recent K3b/cdrecord/wodim problem is a good example for how this risk can block vital operating system functionality. What KANOTIX really makes different from other distributions (or from running Debian SID on your own), is the community providing warnings and serious professional fixes on a predictable daily base. That's why you should use KANOTIX if you like/need bleeding edge technology - there is no other choice.

Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
piper
Titel: RE: Re: RE: New Kde :: LotsOfIt :: minor issue  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.11.2006, 15:04 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
No sense of adventure !

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
hey_ian
Titel: RE: Re: RE: New Kde :: LotsOfIt :: minor issue  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.11.2006, 15:24 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
I can only agree with slam. Kanotix is indeed the only choice for bleeding edge technologies.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
dacorsa
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 23.11.2006, 18:29 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Mai 2006

i don't see Kanotix menù in updated control center...

it's normal??

hubi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 23.11.2006, 18:46 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
In kmenu is a point with a questionmark (not assigned or sth, just german here), there is knxcc-kde.

hubi

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.