19.03.2024, 06:45 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
jebus197
Titel: Cannot enable DMA on DVD Drive.  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.11.2006, 05:38 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Nov 2006

Hi, for some reason I can't enable DMA on my DVD drive. When I try I get the following output:

Code:
/dev/hdc:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

I am using 2006-01-RC4 - and have ran chmod 777 on /dev/hdc and chown jebus97 /dev/hdc and also chgrp jebus97 to ensure that all of the permissions and ownerships are properly set.

But still this has no effect.

Can anyone suggest what might be going on?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
cleary
Titel: RE: Cannot enable DMA on DVD Drive.  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.11.2006, 05:57 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Nov 2005

try editing your boot parameter to include:
Code:
combined_mode=libata hdc=noprobe

you can do this on the fly in the grub boot menu, or make it permanent by editing /boot/grub/menu.lst
This is enabled by default in the 2.6.19 kernel, however I've found that my computer crashes whenever I insert a CD now - DVD reading and writing is perfectly fine though

jebus197
Titel: RE: Cannot enable DMA on DVD Drive.  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.11.2006, 06:45 Uhr

Right, thanks. However it's a bit odd don't you think all the same that DMA can't be enabled by any of the more traditional methods?

I wonder what could be causing this?

cleary
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 27.11.2006, 06:51 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Nov 2005

In my case it was because my laptop - a dell latitude d610 - had a sata dvd-rw drive with a sata-ide bridge (apparently) - this was/is causing issues with both the old drivers, and the new libata drivers

jebus197
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 27.11.2006, 07:32 Uhr

Mmm.. That sounds what might be going on in my case too. I have a Toshiba laptop - and I don't think it has any IDE controllers at all. (BTW how can I check this)?

So do you know if there is any fix on the horizon that won't crash my computer - and which is stable? Is this possibly just an RC issue?

mdmarmer
Titel: Search for linux install on your laptop model  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.11.2006, 14:46 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Mar 2006
Search for linux install on your laptop model

Post model number, etc. -- easier to help

http://www.linux-laptop.net

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportMachinesLaptops

often helpful to search Gentoo or Ubuntu forums

http://tuxmobil.org/toshiba.html

Mike

And yes -- my laptop (Toshiba M45-S331) has sata drive -- probably no ide controller. I found that the boot parameter irqpoll helps with my laptop -- but this is more for solving IRQ conflicts than DMA problems

Good chance it will help to make sure that you have the latest BIOS update from Toshiba

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
raid517
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 27.11.2006, 16:12 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Apr 2005

Wrong subject...

An appropriate representation of the requested resource /posting.php could not be found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

jebus197
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 27.11.2006, 16:41 Uhr

Hmm... Thanks for the cool links.

I have been unable to find any mention in those links of my laptop (Toshiba Satellite A100 225) or the DVD drive - which is listed in dmesg: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K16A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive.

Does this mean that my drive (or possible SATA DVD-R drives in general) are not yet supported in Linux?

Is there likely to be a fix on the way?

jebus197
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 28.11.2006, 20:56 Uhr

Hi is this likely to be a kernel related bug - or is it likely to be a Debian specific bug? I am trying to work out who it would be best to report a bug to.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.