19.03.2024, 06:04 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
SentralOrigin
Titel: How do I uninstall without messing up the boot or Windows?  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.11.2006, 20:09 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Okt 2005
I am dual booting with Windows XP and I need more hard drive space so I need to rid of Kanotix for just a few days. How do I remove Kanotix and add it to my Windows XP? I tried something before by deleting the Kanotix partition but when I turned on my computer I got an error and I could not boot into my Windows XP operating system because it couldn't load the GRUB Loader or something but I don't want it, I just want to boot into Windows XP.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
hubi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 27.11.2006, 20:17 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
Take your Win-CD or the rescue-CD and boot into the rescue console (it's sth like dos).
Code:
fixmbr
should bring you the Win-boot back. If not, do
Code:
fixboot
as well.

Just did that for a friend of mine who kicked his installation.

Just my 2000 $ Win support Mr. Green

hubi

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
SentralOrigin
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 27.11.2006, 20:19 Uhr

Hmm...take me step by step please. I have my Windows XP CD. I put it in and boot with it. I get some options, now what should I do?

Someone just told me to remove Kanotix from the /etc/grub.mbr or something

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
devil
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 27.11.2006, 20:26 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
even easier,
from kanotix:
Code:
lilo -M /dev/hda -s /dev/null

change that to sda, if its sata
after that, format the kanotix partition & swap

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

SentralOrigin
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 27.11.2006, 20:27 Uhr

Oh thank you very much

hubi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 27.11.2006, 20:36 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
SentralOrigin,

I am definitely no expert like devil on dealing from Linux, and I just try to recall:

you boot into your XP CD and you get some options. One of those is sth like "rescue ..." Choose that, and after a while you get a DOS-like surface and you are asked for the admin-password. Just enter if you do not have one specified. Then you see
Zitat:
C:\
This is where you enter the commands.
Code:
dir | more
gives you the list of the commands, and you will find the correct spelling there.

That should be it for reinstalling the Windows-boot.

But I think devil gave you a better solution: LILO as bootloader. But I have never used that one, actually I do not have any Windows installation left.

Greetings
hubi

LinuxGeek
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 02.12.2006, 21:28 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Okt 2004

Code:
lilo -M /dev/hda -s /dev/null

devil, what exactly does this do? I understand that the -M "installs a Master Boot Record on the device specified as master-device. The new MBR is copied by default from "mbr.b", which is built into /sbin/lilo (version 22.3), unless a specific file is named as the second argument. The primary partition table on master-device is undistrubed" and the -s tells it to save the old mbr to /dev/null. But does this restore the Windows boot loader? Thanks.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.