18.04.2024, 11:40 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
JayDee
Titel: Kernel compile 2.6.18 help  BeitragVerfasst am: 02.12.2006, 20:20 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Dez 2006

Is there a howto for compiling a 2.6 kernel? I haven't compiled a kernel since a few years back. An up to date howto for kanotix would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
JayDee

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Crest
Titel: RE: Kernel compile 2.6.18 help  BeitragVerfasst am: 03.12.2006, 00:36 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Okt 2006
It's not that hard, maybe you want to have a look at this thread:

http://kanotix.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-22765.html

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
JayDee
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.12.2006, 02:21 Uhr

Yeah, I saw that thread. I tried and get the same error that LinuxGeek had. But no one has posted an answer to fix what is causing his error.

Crest
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.12.2006, 03:46 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Okt 2006
You failed probably with 'make xconfig' or 'make menuconfig'? I can't help with this since I have used the pretty uncomfortable 'make config' to change settings for my custom kernel. The beginning is always by running the script /usr/local/bin/install-kernel-source-vanilla (Kanotix specific patches are applied to the Kernel source automaticly), after this you can change the configuration. If you really know what you have to do then you can also open /usr/src/linux/.config with your editor but there is not any explanation inside this file. If you are done configuring then start the compiling and package building process with 'make source' (this *will* take some time). Finally you should have several .deb packages which you can install with dpkg -i. External modules like ndiswrapper etc. are not included in this fresh Kernel.

Possibly it's not the experts way of Kernel building but it worked for me Winken

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
mzilikazi
Titel: Re: Kernel compile 2.6.18 help  BeitragVerfasst am: 03.12.2006, 04:38 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
JayDee hat folgendes geschrieben::
Is there a howto for compiling a 2.6 kernel? I haven't compiled a kernel since a few years back. An up to date howto for kanotix would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
JayDee

Try this.
You should not and do not need to build a kernel as root nor should you build a kernel in /usr/src. You can easily build a kernel with source from kernel.org or run the source build script for a Kanotix kernel and then build that kernel. Either way is the same build method. The differences are in the way you get the source. If you can't get it to work post what you did and what errors you got - exactly as they appear. We cannot guess as to what your problems might be when you say "I got the same error as so-and-so."

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
JayDee
Titel: Re: Kernel compile 2.6.18 help  BeitragVerfasst am: 03.12.2006, 05:24 Uhr

Try this.
You should not and do not need to build a kernel as root nor should you build a kernel in /usr/src. You can easily build a kernel with source from kernel.org or run the source build script for a Kanotix kernel and then build that kernel. Either way is the same build method. The differences are in the way you get the source. If you can't get it to work post what you did and what errors you got - exactly as they appear. We cannot guess as to what your problems might be when you say "I got the same error as so-and-so."[/quote]

Uhhh... rough day there, mate? Smilie
I never mentioned anything about compiling as root or not, nor whether it was built in /usr/src. Since your first sentence "You should not and do not need to build a kernel as root nor should you build a kernel in /usr/src." indicates that you must have read the same thread that I referred to, and also means that you should have read the freaking huge error message from that I was kind enough to not repost in this thread. Until now.

You know, the one that said:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually, I followed the instructions but when I came to run:

make xconfig (or make menuconfig)

it would run before exiting with the following error. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

* Library routines
CRC-CCITT functions (CRC_CCITT) [M/y/?] m
CRC16 functions (CRC16) [M/y/?] m
CRC32 functions (CRC32) [Y/?] y
CRC32c (Castagnoli, et al) Cyclic Redundancy-Check (LIBCRC32C) [M/y/?] m
#
# configuration written to .config
#
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1'
/usr/bin/make -f ./debian/rules debian/dummy_do_dep
make[2]: --no-print-directory: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `--no-print-directory'. Stop.
/bin/sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching ``'
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file
/bin/sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching ``'
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1'
debian/ruleset/misc/version_vars.mk:143: *** Error. The version number make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1' make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1'.make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1' make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1'.make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1' make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1'make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1' make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1'make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1' make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1' VERSION=[make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1' make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1'], PATCHLEVEL=[make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1' make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1'], SUBLEVEL=[make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1' make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1'], EXTRAVERSION=[make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1' make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1'], iatv=[], LOCALVERSION=[make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1' make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1'], UTS_RELEASE_VERSION=[], KERNELRELEASE=[ ]. is not all lowercase. Since the version ends up in the package name of the kernel image package, this is a Debian policy violation, and the packaging system shall refuse to package the image. . Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1'
make[1]: *** [debian/stamp-kernel-conf] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-kanotix-1'
make: *** [oldconfig] Error 2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly the same error that I get.

mzilikazi
Titel: Re: Kernel compile 2.6.18 help  BeitragVerfasst am: 03.12.2006, 20:12 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
JayDee hat folgendes geschrieben::

Uhhh... rough day there, mate? Smilie
I never mentioned anything about compiling as root or not, nor whether it was built in /usr/src.

Not a rough day at all. My first clue that you were building as root in /usr/src was when you said you followed a howto that tells you to build as root in /usr/src and that you'd gotten the same error which clearly states that you were building as root in /usr/src. Mit den Augen rollen

Zitat:
Since your first sentence "You should not and do not need to build a kernel as root nor should you build a kernel in /usr/src."

That is not my first sentence. Read the actual first sentence. Follow the howto linked there and forget what you read in the other.

It is not required that you apply any patches if you just want to build the vanilla kernel from kernel.org (unless you need them). If you want to rebuild a Kanotix kernel keep reading the same thread as there are instructions for that as well.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.