20.04.2024, 03:53 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
jebus197
Titel: Install-fglrx-debian.sh Not working for Kernel 2.6.20.  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.12.2006, 19:41 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Nov 2006

Hi well the title says it all really. The install-fglrx-debian.sh sript worked for me right up until 2.6.19 - but no longer does for any kernel after this.

I know Kanotix is in the process of a mini implosion (or at least it is going through some major changes) but the biggest attraction for me was always how Kano's scripts always made things so easy.

I will stick with whatever he decides to do - but I am anxious if Kanotix might be falling into an unmaintained state and if the scripts and kernels will still be kept current?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Crest
Titel: RE: Install-fglrx-debian.sh Not working for Kernel 2.6.20.  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.12.2006, 21:53 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Okt 2006
Maybe it's just a bit to early for Kernel 2.6.20? Even Sidux isn't using it yet and also Kernel 2.6.19 isn't yet working stable for everyone.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
jebus197
Titel: RE: Install-fglrx-debian.sh Not working for Kernel 2.6.20.  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.12.2006, 04:01 Uhr

Yeah, just so everyone knows.

jebus197
Titel: RE: Install-fglrx-debian.sh Not working for Kernel 2.6.20.  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.12.2006, 21:59 Uhr

Hey thanks Kano for updating the script! You and you scripts and the great team that is still Kanotix is what has made it possible for me to run Linux as my main desktop for this last 3 years.

Whatever happens I will be sticking with Kanotix.

You rock!

jebus197
Titel: RE: Install-fglrx-debian.sh Not working for Kernel 2.6.20.  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.12.2006, 23:13 Uhr

Oops I spoke too soon. It seems the only thing that has been updated is that a check has been added to make sure the user is using Kanotix. Which sucks slightly as I have tended to always run Kanotix on my main desktop and Ubuntu on my laptop - and Kano's scripts worked in both cases.

I'm not sure why this is - as I have always tended to recommend Kano's script to many new Debian users - including Ubuntu users - and many people have been extremely appreciative and thankful for it. I have also read Kano recommending this script on various forums to Ubuntu users. Also what with all of this talk of a possible move to an Ubuntu base (which is why I have no real personal issues with it as it is what I use on my laptop anyway) it seems an odd thing to have included at this time.

However I imagine (and I may just have an overly active imagination) that some of this possibly might have to do with various personal disagreements taking place within the Kanotix project at this time - and that perhaps this has resulted in a desire to exclude certain users of a potentially 'new' rival to Kanotix from using official Kanotix scripts.

Anyway, whatever is going on I hope you guys work it out soon. I just want to get back to things being as predictable and dependable as they have been up until now - or even more so if perhaps we move to a more stable and dependable code base. Then we can have stability, dependability (which given I can't count the number of times I have had Sid break on me is no bad thing), all of the great hardware detection of Kanotix and all of Kano's neat scripts too. What exactly is there to complain about in that?

Anyway I think a good reason to go with Ubuntu - despite whatever reservations everyone might have (and I admit I had a few myself) I think a good reason to go with Ubuntu is that a lot of good work gets done in Ubuntu - and a lot of things are included in it which are simply not available to Debian stable. So it is still kind of 'experimental' and bleeding edge - but it is also stable. If anything Ubuntu is closer philosophically to Sid than it is to Etch - although it is like Sid with a lot more testing and a lot more QA put into it. So you are not quite so exposed to the wilder throws and tantrums of Sid - but you still get a lot of the neater stuff which is often backported.

The end result is that if you went with Sarge, you would always end up with an older and less functional system than you would if you went with Ubuntu.

I am not saying that I am suddenly a big fan of Mark Shuttleworth (to be honest I just don't understand him) however I guess there comes a time when we all have to make compromises. I want stability - but I don't necessarily want all of the old ass/ancient stuff that tends to linger almost indefinitely in Debian Stable.

Anyway I will continue to run Kanotix on my desktop computer until such times as it becomes clear what direction (if any) the project is headed in.

I will still support Kano in whatever he chooses to do (and I still think he and the Kanotix team rock) although it would be neat if the check he added to his script simply warned that the version of Debian being used was not supported and that they should not seek support - and then offer the option to continue, so that I can go on recommending the script to all of the many new Debian users it has helped in the past.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von jebus197 am 22.12.2006, 02:49 Uhr, insgesamt 4 Male bearbeitet

Crest
Titel: RE: Install-fglrx-debian.sh Not working for Kernel 2.6.20.  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.12.2006, 00:50 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Okt 2006
Who is talking about Sarge? Etch is the new stable Debian and has yet just to be finally released when all important bugs are fixed.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
jebus197
Titel: RE: Install-fglrx-debian.sh Not working for Kernel 2.6.20.  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.12.2006, 02:45 Uhr

Sarge or Etch - it is still a longer release cycle and much of the better things that do make their way into Ubuntu will take much longer (if ever) to make in into either of these.

The point is that Debian stable, whatever the flavour, is still not as current as Ubuntu.

moltas
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.12.2006, 10:16 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Mai 2005

Wy not. just use Sid and be happy.
As a sid user you hav the latest, and can use ubunto and kanotix fixes for most thing.
bertil

jebus197
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.12.2006, 19:17 Uhr

Because Kanotix is moving away from Sid...

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.