19.03.2024, 09:47 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
leonsk
Titel: Need to change from German to English  BeitragVerfasst am: 29.12.2006, 10:58 Uhr

Anmeldung: 10. Apr 2005
Kanotix 2006-Easter has been running well on my computer for many months. So now I want more, tried the 2006-01-RC4 Live CD (from ISO download), all OK, then did HD install. New install working well except the system language is German, and of course same in Terminal/console. This is a problem due to my rusty German and lack of German keyboard (cannot insert the > key). Note that in KDE and all my apps English is working fine. I do not want to reinstall ... should I wait for the 2006-1 Gold? and if so how do I ensure that the install will be in English?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
penguin.ch
Titel: RE: Need to change from German to English  BeitragVerfasst am: 29.12.2006, 11:48 Uhr

Anmeldung: 11. Dez 2006

At first sight, I would suggest to replace the assumedly pre-set boot parameter lang=de with something like lang=uk ...

HTH
Birdy

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
leonsk
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 29.12.2006, 15:04 Uhr

Such a replacement sounds plausible, but replace it exactly where? I have looked thorough the /boot and /boot/grub files, and through /etc, but no such parameter or boot options listing is apparent.

Deppsche
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 29.12.2006, 15:39 Uhr

Anmeldung: 19. Jun 2005
you can try this
Code:
dpkg-reconfigure locales
set-language-environment

if this doesn't work, you can change directly here /etc/sysconfig/i18n

here you can find the cheatcodes for grub http://kanotix.com/FAQ-id_cat-63.html#q245

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
penguin.ch
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 29.12.2006, 16:28 Uhr

leonsk hat folgendes geschrieben::
Such a replacement sounds plausible, but replace it exactly where?

Code:
# /boot/grub/menu.lst
[snipped a lot of stuff]
title      Kanotix 06.10 (2.6.18-k1)
root       (hd0,1)
kernel     /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-kanotix-1 root=/dev/sda2 ro acpi=off lang=uk # here we go ;-)
initrd     /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-kanotix-1

HTH
Birdy

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
leonsk
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.12.2006, 14:59 Uhr

OK, I edited the /boot/grub/menu.lst file to include the cheatcodes lang=us keyboard=us.

System language now appearing in english vs german and my keyboard is fine. Curious thing is that some of the system messages in the Terminal/console still come up in german; seems that my system is speaking english but some of the installation scripts for packages are in german. Sehr eigentümlich indeed.

penguin.ch
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.12.2006, 16:16 Uhr

leonsk hat folgendes geschrieben::
Curious thing is that some of the system messages in the Terminal/console still come up in german; seems that my system is speaking english but some of the installation scripts for packages are in german. Sehr eigentümlich indeed.

After all, Kanotix is a german distribution (to some extend, at least) Sehr glücklich however, you may check the locale settings as well, for some of the packages (read: scripts) might depend on that (although this is merely an assumption ...).

HTH
Birdy

leonsk
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.12.2006, 04:07 Uhr

Locale is set as US. Never had the mixed-language situation with all my previous Kanotix installs (since early 2005).

Kano
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.12.2006, 11:48 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

After:

rm -rf /etc/sysconfig /etc/environment

This should work:

dpkg-reconfigure locales

leonsk
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.12.2006, 13:20 Uhr

Thx Kano. I did the rm then the dpkg... Selected only DE with UTF-8 and US with UTF-8, then selected US as default. Still have problem with my keyboard, which is conventional US 105-key unit. All seems OK in KDE and in Terminal/Konsole but when i go to runlevel 3 (init 3) and log in as root the keyboard appears to act as German, that is, I cannot enter the > or < keys, have to use my "z" key to get "y" etc.

Have a great New Year; I am looking forward to more of this best of distros.

Kano
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.12.2006, 13:28 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

Ok, the xorg.conf default maybe still german, change it if you like. For console you do:

install-keymap us

leonsk
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 31.12.2006, 13:40 Uhr

Did that in Konsole and checked w/init 3. Working fine now, thank you very much.

Will raise a toast to you at midnight ... 3hr-20 mins.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.