19.03.2024, 10:15 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
gtpeacock
Titel: chown question  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.03.2007, 02:13 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Jul 2005
I have a FAT partition (hda9) that I use to store and share files from Win98 and several linux distros. I want to bitorrent ISO images there from Kanotix, but I get an error that I don't have permission. I have tried

su
umount /mnt/hda9
chown -R gtp:users /mnt/hda9
mount /mnt/hda9

(my username is gtp). No success. When I remount, it is still owned by root and I cannot write to it from my user account. What am I doing wrong?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
op4latino
Titel: RE: chown question  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.03.2007, 04:17 Uhr

Anmeldung: 18. Jul 2005
It's a lot eaiser if you mount it somewhere in your home directory.

1. Create a directory. Let's call it winux (Windows Linux). $ mkdir /home/gtp/winux
2. In your /etc/fstab there should be a line saying

/dev/hda9 /home/gtp/winux vfat rw,noauto,users,exec 0 0

3. Mount it. $ mount /home/gtp/winux
4. If the files are still owned by root do as root : # chown -R gtp:gtp /home/gtp/winux

In /etc/fstab /dev/hda9 is the device, /home/gtp/winux the mount point, vfat the filesystem type, rw read/write, noauto don't mount it in every boot ( change it to auto if you want it to be mounted everytime you boot), users users can mount it (nousers only root can mount), exec not quite sure, but I think it means that files can be executed (programs, scripts, etc). The 0 0 is something beyond to me. man mount explains it all.

gtpeacock
Titel: RE: chown question  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.03.2007, 01:35 Uhr

I used the method above to change the mount point to /home/gtp/hda9, but I get the same result. For some reason, chown does not seem to be effective. The folder and files are still owned by root.

op4latino
Titel: RE: chown question  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.03.2007, 03:47 Uhr

Anmeldung: 18. Jul 2005
if you did as root:

Code:
chown -R gtp:gtp /home/gtp/hda9
mount /home/gtp/hda9
chown -R gtp:gtp /home/gtp/hda9

and the files under /home/gtp/hda9 are still owned by root, then you might want to ask in IRC http://irc.kanotix.net/cgi-bin/cgiirc/irc.cgi

gtpeacock
Titel: RE: chown question  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.03.2007, 15:47 Uhr

Thanks for the help, but it does not work for me. I will follow up on irc. I tried the other day and no one answered... hopefully the irc will get more active when the next release comes out.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.