19.03.2024, 05:48 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
grady
Titel: Folder copying (between two boxes)  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.03.2007, 04:09 Uhr

Anmeldung: 19. Jul 2005

I've failed to install a new system by passing a copy (via CD) of current /home from my working Kanotix box to a new box. Looks as though I set up the partitions on the new box correctly, and did copy the CD contents into my new home partition. But when I (new) installed, the installer ignored the existence of the partition and the /home folder.
Why? Keine annung !

I wonder if there may exist an addendum to the hd-installation guide which covers the fine points of this. And where I might find it (?).

Alternatively, is there a guide to configuring a dead-simple connection between two boxes (their 10/100 nics connected by a single cable, all of which I have), for the sole purpose of pulling folders from one Kanotix box to the other? The ability to include my Windows2k shares would be a (small) bonus. Shared printer & modem management are also not needed.

Thanks in advance,

Grady

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
grady
Titel: Folder copying (between two boxes)  BeitragVerfasst am: 24.04.2007, 04:04 Uhr

Anmeldung: 19. Jul 2005

Bueno!

I'm not sure if the absence of replies means that my question was senseless... or a ticking bomb ! No matter Sehr glücklich .

I've hacked away (my original user account (2006-01-RC4) remained safe).

As soon as I copied (using K3B) my user account to cd, it became a greased pig. I didn't know how to preserve user:user ownership, and time-and-again, ownership changed to root:root.
Editing fstab to match my home partition's configuration on my old machine was also necessary.
Sidux refused to adopt my user account at first install. There then followed lots of sleight-of-hand.
After a Sidux reinstallation, my original account appears to be settled in. KPPP is really the only holdout- but I'm guessing that an incomplete netconfig in my user account may be responsible.

Best wishes to all,
particularly to der Kano, to whom we all so much,

Grady

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.