19.03.2024, 04:33 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
berrold
Titel: Kanotix 64 bit  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.01.2008, 17:40 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Jan 2008

When will be released Kanotix distributive (>=2.6.24) supporting Intel 64 bit processors(Core Duo etc.) ?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Kano
Titel: Kanotix 64 bit  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.01.2008, 17:45 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

Will not release Thorhammer for 64 bit. 64 bit is best for server apps and lots of ram, but main focus are client systems. Every 64 bit cpu can run 32 bit just fine.

berrold
Titel: Re: Kanotix 64 bit  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.01.2008, 06:52 Uhr

Kano hat folgendes geschrieben::
Will not release Thorhammer for 64 bit. 64 bit is best for server apps and lots of ram, but main focus are client systems. Every 64 bit cpu can run 32 bit just fine.
Exact! New Home PC I have 8 GB RAM I need to use all RAM I have and I don't understand what is a relation between RAM and server role?
I have new hardware and want to use all my PC as Home PC not server.
Remember wars around 16 bit and 32 bit processors and software 10 years ago? What's again ? I don't understand it, sorry.

Kano
Titel: Re: Kanotix 64 bit  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.01.2008, 07:12 Uhr

Well you should know that 64 bit systems have serveral drawbacks, at least with Debian even the latest code would only allow you to use java in konqueror and flash in iceweasel but not both in the same browser. Also using extra win codecs is not that easy. You can access 8 GB ram with 32 bit too when you would use a PAE enabled kernel. As your pc is pretty fast you should be able compile it on your own in about 30 min + time to download the sources. If you install Kanotix visit IRC to get instructions.

berrold
Titel: Re: Kanotix 64 bit  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.01.2008, 02:29 Uhr

O-o-p-s! My mouse is going to replace.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von berrold am 23.01.2008, 02:32 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

berrold
Titel: Re: Kanotix 64 bit  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.01.2008, 02:31 Uhr

Kano hat folgendes geschrieben::
Well you should know that 64 bit systems have serveral drawbacks, at least with Debian even the latest code would only allow you to use java in konqueror and flash in iceweasel but not both in the same browser. Also using extra win codecs is not that easy. You can access 8 GB ram with 32 bit too when you would use a PAE enabled kernel. As your pc is pretty fast you should be able compile it on your own in about 30 min + time to download the sources. If you install Kanotix visit IRC to get instructions.

OO! Great!

What is PAE kernel and how to do it?

Java I never used and never will, because I believe Sun dream was fallen (to implement java machine in hardware solution and to use for grand public and for us as well).

Flash, it depends some non-professional sites use it (I means they just do
it for some their purpose), but I understand it\s possible to use in some internet broweser
-
what is about SeaMonkey or some thing like that? - just I prefere using old way all-in-one, thunderbird and all it's clones forms does not work at all - there is 10 year problem with some languages - each year they do it and do it again, I'm tired, they just doesn't listen third of linux users - meaning usual not programmers)

About win codecs - could I drop them all - I mean, is there some converter or just changing 4 front bits or some thing like that to convert all my stuff to Ogg and Video format (which one?)?

IRC channel which one?
Thanks for answering, this forum really I get answers in reasonable time (SuSE and Knoppix for example just never).

Kano
Titel: Re: Kanotix 64 bit  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.01.2008, 09:31 Uhr

There is no diff if you use Seamonkey or Iceweasel. Thats the same core. If you want 64 bit: use another distro. If you only want to be able to access 8 gb ram then install Kanotix and use the integrated IRC button on the desktop.

dptxp
Titel: RE: Re: Kanotix 64 bit  BeitragVerfasst am: 08.03.2008, 17:22 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Dez 2007

The 32-bit vs 64-bit debate shall continue for some time. But I do not see any logic why someone should use 64-bit just because he has 8 MB RAM. Unless of course, if the applications need all that RAM.

I have both 32-bit and 64-bit Ubuntu on different machines. The 64-bit is not exactly for any productivity enhancement, I hardly use any application at present to take the advantage. But if users do not use 64-bit, how will we switchover to the 64-bit mode ? We can not stick to 32-bit forever.

But again 64-bit is yet to have full support and it is difficult for small groups of developers to maintain both. So if only one version is to be maintained, there is no choice but to keep the 32-bit as on date. It runs on all machines.

There are quite a few distros available in 64-bit, Ubuntu, sidux, and of course Debian. Ubuntu has a separate forum for 64-bit and slh (sidux) encourages you to go for 64-bit. We have Gambas in 64-bit now.

There are reasons why you should use 32-bit and there are reasons why you should use 64-bit. Personal choice.

Kano
Titel: RE: Re: Kanotix 64 bit  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.03.2008, 02:59 Uhr

Some ppl don't use flash nor java and are happy with 64 bit. With sid it is easyly possible now to use flash+java with konqueror, but java for firefox seems to be a bit tricky. I only use 64 bit for testing purpose.

dptxp
Titel: RE: Re: Kanotix 64 bit  BeitragVerfasst am: 10.03.2008, 13:35 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Dez 2007

Since Kanotix is no longer available in 64-bit, please remove the reference to 64-bit Kanotix in first page (English). There are no links to the servers or any download page, it is simply not possible to navigate to get RC6.

Similarly, as pointed out earlier, the link to manual, does not take to the correct manual.

Small, small corrections. These can be easily done. They matter a lot.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.