29.03.2024, 15:09 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
whocares02
Titel: No multitasking in kde4 (system too slow)  BeitragVerfasst am: 03.09.2010, 18:16 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Sep 2010

Hello,

I have several problems with my freshly installed debian (i use kanotix64 with KDE4).
First thing is the performance: When only opening iceweasel and a second window, the system
becomes unendurable slow. With a bit more load (e.g. opening konsole) the system freezes completely. When I have luck,
only kde crashes and restarts. I already installed some swap-space with 95% swappiness. Problem persists.

No.2 is start of kdm. When switching the screen-resolution during bootup, the system likes to freeze. The monitor doesn't get any signal. Switching the console (ctrl+f1-f7) has no effect. Sometimes the screen with the grey background is visible for a millisecond (i guess it's part of the x-server), which comes directly before the kde-startup-screen. Sometimes I have to reboot several times until kde starts properly.

Any ideas? Should i reinstall something? And most important: Is it possible to deactivate / uninstall / erase this *** plasma-**** ? Any other performance-raising ideas?

Thanks for answers.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Kano
Titel: No multitasking in kde4 (system too slow)  BeitragVerfasst am: 03.09.2010, 22:25 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

which gfx card?

infobash -v

whocares02
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 04.09.2010, 06:14 Uhr

ati radeon xpress 200m

Kano
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 04.09.2010, 11:03 Uhr

Well hellfire with oss driver is most likely better suited. Join IRC.

whocares02
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 04.09.2010, 18:08 Uhr

what is hellfire? what is oss? I'm glad kanotix comes with ati-driver preinstalled. Are you sure changing this is a good idea?

Found out that the swap seems to be a problem. When activating manually, kde will freeze soon after. I use a loop-device to do swap in a file.

thebluesman
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 04.09.2010, 18:30 Uhr

Anmeldung: 06. Okt 2007
Hellfire is the newest or next Kanotix-version based on debian-squeeze.
Some of us are testing it.

Oss means "OpenSourceSoftware" and I suppose, the community is developing a free driver for your ati-card.
Kano invited you to join the IRC to fix your problem and/or to give you the download-link for Hellfire.

regards

whocares02
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.09.2010, 03:01 Uhr

Hey man seriously: I have trouble with kanotix running directly after installation and your hint is installing a new version?!

Maybe a different OS is a better idea.

bye.

Kano
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.09.2010, 03:10 Uhr

The ati driver is just very old. And for kde 4 effects fglrx 9-3 would be no solution (even if you downgrade the kernel). When you could install a binary driver it usally helps, just not in your case when fglrx is not possible in a current version.

whocares02
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.09.2010, 05:44 Uhr

Did you read my first post? Read it again.

Daddy-G
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.09.2010, 09:48 Uhr

Anmeldung: 01. Mar 2005

I have an ati radeon xpress 200m too and my Notebook worked fine with Kanotix all the time Smilie

I kept the older kernel 2.6.28 with fglrx-driver on Excalibur-Installation and with Kanotix-Hellfire it runs including kde4-effects out of the box, just as Kano wrote above. Smilie

We know here, that Kano is an approved expert in ati+linux. A new Installation is a matter of a few minutes, a unqualified nagging needless.

thebluesman
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 05.09.2010, 13:37 Uhr

Anmeldung: 06. Okt 2007
whocares02 hat folgendes geschrieben::
Hey man seriously: I have trouble with kanotix running directly after installation and your hint is installing a new version?!

I just anwered your questions.

Zitat:
what is hellfire? what is oss?

did you asked.

whocares02
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 06.09.2010, 00:25 Uhr

My questions were:

Zitat:
Any ideas? Should i reinstall something? And most important: Is it possible to deactivate / uninstall / erase this *** plasma-**** ? Any other performance-raising ideas?

you answered: I shall install a newer version of kanotix.

Fuck you!

Kano
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 06.09.2010, 01:13 Uhr

It is impossible to update an oss driver with lenny base. Squeeze driver is newer. If that is nothing for you feel free to install something else. But i don't get why you are so upset.

gs
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 06.09.2010, 08:17 Uhr

Anmeldung: 06. Jan 2005

@whocares02: the language you are using had, up to now, never been observed in this forum.
kano and other people connected with kanotix are here because they want to provide an excellent linux-distro and help others to use it. They are not your servants, you do not pay them, and you have no right to insult them.
Why don't you stay away, use any distro you like and insult other people if you have to Mr. Green

TheOne
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 06.09.2010, 18:27 Uhr

Anmeldung: 15. Mar 2008

Besides the fact that this is the german forum part and all the nice people here have answered anyway, I think that everything has already been said.

So, who cares about whocares02? ^^

PS: @whocares02 my tip for you, if you find a distro you like, try to be friendly to their community - it helps for sure Winken

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.