19.03.2024, 02:35 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
eco2geek
Titel: nvidia driver vs. flash plugin in Firefox/Iceweasel  BeitragVerfasst am: 30.10.2011, 23:11 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Mai 2004
Graphics chipset: GeForce 6150SE
Adobe Flash version: 11.0.1 (x86_64)

After installing the latest kernel and nvidia driver (with the "update-kernel.sh" and "install-nvidia-debian.sh" scripts), Adobe Flash crashed all the time (and by all the time, I mean every single time) in Firefox and Iceweasel v7.0.1. But it worked fine in Google Chrome. Most annoying.

It didn't matter if I installed flash locally (in ~/.mozilla/plugins using the "install-flash-local.sh" script) or globally (using the "flashplugin-nonfree" package). (Nor should it, since either method installs the same version.) Disabling other plugins didn't help.

The problem was with nVidia driver 290.03, installed by the "install-nvidia-debian.sh" script. Once I reverted back to the latest stable version -- 285.05.09, as of this writing -- flash worked in Firefox/Iceweasel again.

Posted in case this helps someone else.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Kano
Titel: nvidia driver vs. flash plugin in Firefox/Iceweasel  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.10.2011, 05:08 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

Yes, i know that, therefore i reverted the temporary default of 290.03 to the older 285.05.09 driver. In most cases i set an alternative driver to the default one to the version shortcut "-vs" for the nvidia script. Sometimes you get a special feature driver, the last stable or a beta driver that does not work for all. 290.03 could work with 10.3 flash, but that was only available for 32 bit. With a card with vdpau accelleration using the updated install-flash-local.sh script with "-n" for next and "-v" vdpau option might have worked too, but not possible in your case. I rewrote the flash install script completely and most likely i will change/add some options to it again. Dont see those options as "final" solution... To use vdpau rendering accelleration you also need (as root):

mkdir -p /etc/adobe;echo EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1 > /etc/adobe/mms.cfg

but you need a newer nvidia card series 8+, with the exeption the first 8800 gts 320/640 and 8800 gtx. there might be some not working 8400 gs cards too, but those seem to be rare.

eco2geek
Titel: RE: nvidia driver vs. flash plugin in Firefox/Iceweasel  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.11.2011, 08:13 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Mai 2004
Thanks for keeping up on this stuff, Kano. For those who don't know, type "install-nvidia-debian.sh -h" for a list of options. One of them ("-v") lets you specify which version of the nvidia driver to install.
---
Off-topic: My favorite script of all time by Kano was from the days when Xgl (precursor to compiz) was still relatively new, and ATI still supported the Radeon XPress 200M chipset in its binary driver. (Unlike nvidia, ATI drops support for older chipsets as they produce new drivers.) IIRC this script installed the proprietary fglrx driver, Xgl, and cgwd (the precursor to Emerald) onto Kanotix. It modified the necessary configuration files. In short, it just worked.

Kano
Titel: RE: nvidia driver vs. flash plugin in Firefox/Iceweasel  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.11.2011, 09:22 Uhr

The current default is 290.06 btw. You see that when you call the script with -p option (for print).

DeepDayze
Titel: Re: RE: nvidia driver vs. flash plugin in Firefox/Iceweasel  BeitragVerfasst am: 13.11.2011, 01:23 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

Kano hat folgendes geschrieben::
The current default is 290.06 btw. You see that when you call the script with -p option (for print).

Is the flash problem fixed in that nVidia driver release?

Kano
Titel: Re: RE: nvidia driver vs. flash plugin in Firefox/Iceweasel  BeitragVerfasst am: 13.11.2011, 01:30 Uhr

Yes, you can use 290.06 without problems with flash.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.