19.03.2024, 04:04 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
eselma
Titel: [SOLVED] Failed install of Kanotix-LT2014-KDE  BeitragVerfasst am: 20.05.2014, 18:45 Uhr

Anmeldung: 20. Mai 2014

I saw in Distrowatch that the new version of Kanotix 2014 (LinuxTag) was out, so I downloaded the KDE version (both 32 & 64 bit) and tried to install it. I've been using Kanotix 2013 in this and other boxes with good results. Kudos to Kano and all the developers. But now no luck at all.

The test machine (now with Debian Wheezy, too) gives this ouput to inxi:
Code:
System:    Host: orion Kernel: 3.2.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE 4.8.4 Distro: SolydXK BE
Machine:   Mobo: MSI model: A55-G41 PC Mate (MS-7793) version: 3.0 Bios: American Megatrends version: V17.0 date: 11/14/2013
CPU:       Quad core AMD A10-6800K APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) clocked at 2000.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device 990c X.Org: 1.12.4 driver: fglrx Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 8670D GLX Version: 4.3.12780 - CPC 13.35.1005
Network:   Card-1: Ralink RT2561/RT61 rev B 802.11g driver: rt61pci
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2000.4GB (39.9% used)
  1: model: WDC_WD10EZRX
  2: model: WDC_WD10EZRX
Info:      Processes: 165 Uptime: 15 min Memory: 1172.9/7210.7MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.14

Live sessions runs OK, both 32 and 64 bit. Kanotix LT 2013 is installed there, too and works fine. But when installed, the boot process stalls (both in normal and recovery mode) with a lot of errors -but no coredump- referring to "Failed to start Journal" (tried ext4), "Failed to start udev", "Failed to start Remount Root FS", and more referring to LSB. Luckily, I can start a root session so is possible check for Errors in dmesg. There I found this one:
"ACPI Error: [\_SB_.ALIB] Namespace lookup failure. AE_NOT_FOUND". So I tried booting again with options "noacpi" and "acpi=off", to no avail.

So, I reinstalled LinuxTag 2013 and made an did apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade. A lot of files were updated, but kernel is still 3.9.

Do you have any clue? LT 2014 is still beta, or there is any incompatibilty?

EDIT: This happens both with 32 and 64 bit versions. Other distros with newer kernels work fine in this machine.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von eselma am 22.05.2014, 18:56 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Kano
Titel: Failed install of Kanotix-LT2014-KDE  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.05.2014, 07:39 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

It can be a timezone issue. Best use special ISO in gfxdetect mode. Did you verify the md5sum?

eselma
Titel: RE: Failed install of Kanotix-LT2014-KDE  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.05.2014, 17:46 Uhr

Yes, first thing I do once downloaded an ISO is checking its md5sum. Even tried to download again, suspecting the first one was a buggy iso, but no. Same filesize, same checksum. Tried installing from DVD amd from usb stick (using dd, not unetbootin). Neither.

In fact, gfxdetect was the first trial, and it did not worked. So, I tried plain install. Just now I've tried gfxdetect again, but no luck. Still complaining about LSB, and a lot of errors ref udev, nfs... everywhere.

Can I try some cheatcode (acpi=off and noacpi already tested).

Thanks in advance.

Kano
Titel: RE: Failed install of Kanotix-LT2014-KDE  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.05.2014, 20:10 Uhr

Thats very rarely needed. But you should fetch a nightly build as this has a bugfixed kernel.

http://nightly.kanotix.acritox.com/

Best modifiy the /etc/fstab in live mode and add # in front of every line and keep only /. Maybe it is just a filesystem error on another partition. The installer should add nofail but maybe it is not enough. Be sure that your time is set to utc for international installs. (you can switch with "fix-time -u" or "fix-time -l" live as well. I have got a !timefix for Windows systems in the IRC. Would be a good idea to look for me in the IRC as well.

eselma
Titel: RE: Failed install of Kanotix-LT2014-KDE  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.05.2014, 19:12 Uhr

Well, finally we are lucky!
First test was disabling the lines in fstab mounting any device other than "/" (including swap and dvd-rom). No luck. Adjtime was already as UTC (BTW, my timezone is also Amsterdam/Berlin). No luck at all.
So, downloaded the dragonfire 140521 nightly build (with kernel 3.14.0-3), and reinstalled it. Kanotix started fine, as 2013 version. Now I am in the process of configuring it to my taste.
But, as you know, newer builds and newer hardware usually means some issues. Now it was the ATI driver. The fglrx in the repos, despite being tha last version, does not like this kernel and the KDE effects were broken. So I did some googling and found this page:
http://bluehatrecord.wordpress.com/2014/05/10/installing-the-proprietary-amd-catalyst-14-4-fglrx-driver-on-fedora-20-with-kernel-3-14/
were you can found a suitable (unofficial) patch. After ten minutes, I had again 3D acceleration on my card. All right.

Had to download from the LibreOffice site the help and language pack in Catalan for version 4.2, as many languages are missing from the repos.

Thanks again for your help, Kano.

Edited the OP and added [SOLVED] is that right?

Kano
Titel: RE: Failed install of Kanotix-LT2014-KDE  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.05.2014, 21:21 Uhr

The fglrx driver IS patched in the repository. In what stupid way did you install it? In case of special it is preinstalled and active if you use gfxdetect or for other iso images you have to follow !amddeb in the irc. All other ways are WRONG!

eselma
Titel: Re: RE: Failed install of Kanotix-LT2014-KDE  BeitragVerfasst am: 23.05.2014, 17:37 Uhr

Kano hat folgendes geschrieben::
The fglrx driver IS patched in the repository. In what stupid way did you install it? In case of special it is preinstalled and active if you use gfxdetect or for other iso images you have to follow !amddeb in the irc. All other ways are WRONG!

You know, we stupid people make stupid things. As you suggested before, each install was made as GFX detect. And yes, kanotix installed the Radeon driver, but not any fglrx. Then I installed fglrx app and modules via Synaptic. After doing aticonfig --initial and rebooting, GL was sort of recognized, but 3D effects on KDE did not work at all, even after different trials. So I did the mistake to install the Fedora patch (I know, a RPM distro, so very daring) and... it worked!

So, now I have an stupid OS with 3D effects (not so important at all, finally).

Thanks for your help.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.