19.03.2024, 04:24 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 10.11.2006, 00:30 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

Version 4.0.0

This has no functional difference for end users, it's only to make the script more maintainable long term. The script is getting too long, in other words.

I modified du-fixes-h2.sh to make it more modular by removing the following elements and made them into standalone modules. This process is transparent to the user since the script just downloads them and runs them automatically. I don't recommend using the modules alone however unless your system if freshly upgraded. But you can do it.

1. du-fixes-package-installation.sh - Package Installation
2. du-fixes-package-removal.sh - Package Removal
3. du-fixes-clean-xorg.sh - Clean unneeded Xorg modules

[Note: Package Installation is not quite standalone because it needs the kanotix version parameter passed to it for one function, but otherwise it is ok for standalone.

Now the script will only request these modules if the user selects that option.

I may cut off one more piece, kernel installation, but that one is much more core to the script than this stuff, so I'll have to look at that for a bit before proceeding.

The script already had some modules, now it's just more systematic and standardized so each module will be easier to maintain long term.

Please let me know if you experience any problems with this system.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.11.2006, 00:12 Uhr

Version 4.1.0
Moved core kernel install functions to module du-fixes-kernel-install.sh
This module is not standalone, and requires all the kernel data from du-fixes-h2.sh to run. This data is passed to it with 4 parameters.

The module exits with 1 of 3 states:
0 - exit module
1 - rerun main kernel question
2 - exit du-fixes as well as module

Again, aside from finding and correcting some small errors and oversights on the advanced kernel install function, this is also not a functional change, and should hopefully also be transparent to users.

If you find any problems with kernel install, please let me know.

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.11.2006, 01:13 Uhr

version 4.1.1

I was lucky enough to get the ipw3945-ucode-1.13 error on one box, so I could test the fixes, and get one that works, at least in my case. So if you run the script, it should resolve that issue before the du, and it may even fix it if you've already gotten bitten by that bug.

Richard
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.11.2006, 01:20 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Nov 2005
I updated to the 2.6.18.2-slh-up-1 kernel with h2's script day before yesterday.

Yesterday, I did the dist-upgrade in a konsole. Not with the script.
I had to run
# aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade
a couple of times before it finished but nothing like the problems others are having. I don't have an Azuz MB. Just a clone with a P4 and 512 MB.

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.11.2006, 05:22 Uhr

Version 4.3.0: new module added, system clean up. This is accessed in miscellaneous tweaks, clean-up-stuff.

This will give you a list of cleanup options:

1. apt-get clean [to remove all packages from apt cache]
  2. apt-get autoclean [to just remove non-current packages from your apt cache]
  3. remove-all-kernels-completely [to remove all BUT the current kernel. If you used the script to install your kernels, it will also remove the install directories for that kernel]

The kernel removal script will ask you for each kernel if you want to remove it, so it's probably a good idea to keep at least the most recent one in case something goes wrong with your latest kernel.
  4. remove-kernel-completely [removes current kernel only. Usually only used for debugging reasons etc. This will also remove that kernel's install directory if you installed with du-fixes-h2]
  5. clean-old-backups [this removes all backup files created by the scripts, including xorg.conf, menu.lst, sources.list, etc, so don't run this if you need to keep those backups. If you want to keep one, rename it to something else, or move it somewhere.

And that's about it for now.

piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.11.2006, 05:49 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Very Nice !

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
slam
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.11.2006, 06:26 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
Richard hat folgendes geschrieben::
I updated to the 2.6.18.2-slh-up-1 kernel with h2's script day before yesterday.

Yesterday, I did the dist-upgrade in a konsole. Not with the script.
I had to run
# aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade
a couple of times before it finished but nothing like the problems others are having. I don't have an Azuz MB. Just a clone with a P4 and 512 MB.

Aptitude is very much depreciated in Kanotix/Debian Sid - usage of this tool is at your own risk, and we cannot support systems which have been compromised with it.

Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
bushit
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.11.2006, 16:55 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Aug 2006
Great script, which I use nearly every day. However, it would be even better, if it displayed the version of the graphics driver, I'm going to install. Maybe you can realize this feature.

Thank you for your work, bushit

EDIT: Thank you for the integration of the feature!

Zuletzt bearbeitet von bushit am 12.11.2006, 11:49 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.11.2006, 22:47 Uhr

version 4.3.1
Shows the driver version for fglrx, nvidia stable, and latest nvidia

Richard
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.11.2006, 01:52 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Nov 2005
Zitat:
Aptitude is very much deprecated in Kanotix/Debian Sid - usage of this tool is at your own risk, and we cannot support systems which have been compromised with it.

Greetings,
Chris

Well, I've been reading a bit and am beginning to understand why you hold this position on aptitude.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ost1852942
"No matter which package manager you wish to use, just keep one thing in mind, do not switch back and forth. The three P.M.'s do not keep track of each other; so if you use apt for the first 6 months, and then try aptitude, it will try uninstalling all of the packages you have installed over the previous 6 months. Many a poor soul has made the mistake thinking that aptitude knew what it was doing."

This seems the biggest problem and probably causes the most trouble for users.

Thanks for your input.
Richard.

The_Seeker
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 12.11.2006, 22:22 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Feb 2006
Zitat:

version 4.3.1
Shows the driver version for fglrx, nvidia stable, and latest nvidia

Just a heads up h2. Your script claims the beta driver to be installed is 9742 when in fact it is 9626.

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 13.11.2006, 00:24 Uhr

ah, damn it

it's hard to do this stuff because the actual nvidia installer script changes frequently, and my script is just reading some stuff from it.

thanks for the headsup, when I last installed, a few days ago, it was 9742, which meant the first instance of #VER=...

I guess I'll have to pull out the advanced stuff in a different way

It's actually very hard to duplicate kano's detection stuff because he does a lot of tests, and will install different stuff in different circumstances.

I'm not sure how much work I'll put into this to be honest because kano will be changing his logic to handle new cases all the time on nvidia install.

even the stable driver version will change if you are using older hardware, so unless I actually duplicated all of the initial testing of the script, I doubt I can give a truly accurate output that you can depend on over time.

stryder
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 13.11.2006, 00:40 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Jun 2005

Simpler to ask kano to include driver version in his script. Should be just an additional line or two, no?.

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 13.11.2006, 00:59 Uhr

version 4.3.3: I modified the advanced/beta number detection, so it should match what is actually installed now.

I also added a note to let users know that this is just a guess, and their results may vary, since there is no way I can keep up with kano's nvidia work, but this will be fairly accurate for most users now I believe, as long as you don't have legacy hardware.

The stable driver should be correct in almost all cases, except for legacy nvidia cards, and the advanced driver option will be right as long as the nvidia installer script tests for beta stuff and the advanced install options, -c.

Again, kano does a lot of work to get the right driver isntalled on your system, about 130 lines of install-nvdia-debian.sh, so all my script will give is a most likely guess, which will be right for most nvidia users, but not all. If your nvidia card is supported currently, it will probably be right for you.

Zitat:
Simpler to ask kano to include driver version in his script. Should be just an additional line or two, no?

stryder: what was wanted here was to see the driver version that would be installed, before running the actual installer script. Since the kano script doesn't know what driver it will actually install until about line 130, it can't output that until it runs.

However, I can make good guesses that will work for most nvidia users based on the defaults that are active if nothing overrides them, so that's what I'm doing now.

I actually liked this feature request, because it is good to know before you run the script what it will install, that lets you move to a new terminal and edit the install-nvidia-debian.sh script to make it install what you want, for example, for my box, 9742 is working fine, 9626 broke some flash, 9625 worked fine, and so on. So for this beta stuff it's good to know what the script will install before it installs it.

The stable driver shouldn't vary much however, it will in most cases be what my script says, assuming reasonably new nvidia cards/chips. And the advanced driver number should also be right for most users. In other words, if 9626 installed, then 9742, assuming that was current advanced install option, would also install.

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 13.11.2006, 04:33 Uhr

version 4.4.0
I decided it was silly to try to second guess kano's installer scripts, so now I added a hack that will force them to show what they would actually install before they run fully. This seems to work fairly well, but it's a fairly significant change in the graphics installer section.

Warning: because this relies on certain readings of kano's scripts, if they change in those sections, this may break, so let me know if you suddenly get a failure on the fgrlx install, that one is not as reliable.

Now there is no longer an option to try to force the install, since if the install would theoretically fail anyway no matter what if you ran the kano graphics driver install scripts.

So now there is no guessing, the nvidia standard driver is the driver the script will install on your system, the advanced nvidia driver is the driver the nvidia install script will install with the -c option, and the fgrlx version is the actual version the fglrx script will install.

It also tests for no support, so if your card is too old or is unsuppored, the script will read that error as well, and not offer the option at all to install any graphics drivers.

This was trickier than I thought it would be, but through the wonders of sed it proved to be fairly easy to do.

I anticipate some problems with this with people with two or more different cards running, but for most users this should show exactly what would happen if you ran the real install-nvidia-debian.sh or install-fglrx-debian.sh scripts, since the du-fixes now gets the driver values as calculated by those scripts.

I would appreciate feedback on especially ati stuff, since my only ati is not a supported card, so I just get the default message now that there is no supported ati driver.

stryder
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 13.11.2006, 04:37 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Jun 2005

Wow... sounds complicated. Smilie I wouldn't even think of editing kano's script! Seems to me for a person who is confident enough to do that, he can just do that if he finds that the version installed should be changed, and re-run the script.

Heh... just read what you did above. It's pretty fantastic what you can do... Smilie

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 13.11.2006, 07:21 Uhr

4.4.5: one more option on nvidia install, if the actual most advanced version is greater than the current advanced version given by the -c option, you can try using the very latest beta nvidia driver too. On my system that works fine, 9742, so I thought I'd save myself a step in these cases.

For example, today, the script will install 8776 for stable, and uses 9626 for -c option install, but the actual latest nvidia driver is 9742. So if the last two are different, you'll have the choice of which to install.

bushit
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 13.11.2006, 18:26 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Aug 2006
Sorry h2, I didn't know that this is actually so difficult. However, the feature is very useful, I'm very happy with it.
Thank you for your work!

slam
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 13.11.2006, 19:00 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Okt 2004
Let's give h2 at this point a hearty hug!
You have helped a lot of people sailing around the cliffs of upgrading - thank you very much for that.
Stay tuned with Kano's script development, you are are on your way to real mastership. Smilie
Greetings,
Chris

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen AIM-Name Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
The_Seeker
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 13.11.2006, 19:23 Uhr

Anmeldung: 23. Feb 2006
Zitat:

Let's give h2 at this point a hearty hug!

Will a firm handshake suffice? Auf den Arm nehmen

I've had cause to do a couple of fresh installs over the past few weeks and h2's script has allowed me to keep my system up to date with no hassles whatsoever (we're talking over 500 MB upgrades each time).

Thanks again h2 for your wonderful script, I (plus countless others no doubt) really appreciate the work you put in.

piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 13.11.2006, 19:33 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Todays Fresh Install

704 upgraded
17 new installs
3 removed
1 not upgraded

I do this once a week on one system to test h2's excellent script and to make sure it runs right so others benefit from it (someone beats me to it though finding errors). I also do it without the script. At the moment, I only do this with the latest rc because I have no time (soon to change)

h2

Thank You

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 13.11.2006, 21:01 Uhr

Version 4.5.0: created one more module, of the individual miscellaneous tweaks functions. That's about all I can practically cut out of the main script at this point, although in the future I'll be able to remove all older fixes as well I think and make them into a module or two, which should help keep the script manageable long term. But for now it feels like it's back under control.

Glad the script is useful to people, it's fun doing it still, which is a good sign.

bushit, that feature was something that had been bugging me for a while, since I had to go into install-nvidia-debian.sh each time to hack it manually before running the nvidia installer, as you note, it's a useful thing to have ready access too.

I expect some changes in that graphics logic in the future, but for now it should work ok for most people most of the time, which was my actual goal in making the initial du-fixes script.

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.11.2006, 04:51 Uhr

Version 4.5.9: a small change, moved debian orphan cleanup to a more logical place, the clean up module, so that's where you'll find it now, with all the other cleanup options.

jiro
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.11.2006, 04:58 Uhr

Anmeldung: 27. Jun 2005

there appears to be a bug in the latest version (4.5.9). at the point you are asked to type "9" to "continue on to graphics driver installation", the script proceeds to install the driver without offering you a second menu dialog as before (to install stable or beta nvidia version). this crashed my system, because my system for whatever reason is not compatible with kano's install-nvidia-debian.sh script. i then had to fire up the text-based lynx browser to go download the driver version available at nvidia.com.

my system is back up, but i think the script needs to be fixed so it doesn't automatically proceed to install the driver without user confirmation

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.11.2006, 05:36 Uhr

I can't duplicate that, I just tried it. There's no way I know of to make the script skip reading your response on the graphics driver install, but if there is a way, I'd like to learn it.

Again, the script does not automatically proceed without user confirmation, so if anyone else can reproduce this that would be helpful.

the only thing that has really changed is how the graphics installer gives you options, and what information it uses to list those options. The install itself isn't automatic, and as far as I know, couldn't be.

See if you can reproduce it, I doubt you can. Start the script with the -f option to force it to update itself, just in case your download got corrupted or something.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.